This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Height for general use receptacle

Is there a code requirement for the height of receptacles in a bedroom or living room? I know typically they are install 18" AFF. Is there a maximum or minimum height? I can't seem to find a requirement in the code book. Thanks.
    Do it right or don't do it at all.

Perhaps the answer you want can be found in 210.52
    Experience is something thats gained shortly after you really needed it.

Comment

None per the NEC, other than max height. Be sure to check the specific occupancy for state and federal ADA requirements which exceed the NEC.
      Bryan P. Holland, MCP
      NEMA - Codes & Standards

Comment

In California there are height limits based on ADA requirements but these only apply to commercial occupancies only. The minimum height requirement is 12" above aff.

Comment

For usual, non regulated (ADA, etc.) dwelling work, the height should match any existing visible devices in the room or area.

For new construction, some say the height is the length of the installer's hammer.

I like to grab a scrap of wood and make a jig.

Other times I will carefully use my tape measure. . .
          Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

18 to center works great on cbs homes.Works out to only breaking one cell.
            member of the Christine car club

Comment

I match existing on non ADA
              New installs 14" to the bottom of receptalces & 48 to top of switches.
              I think that fits the ADA requirements too?

Comment

Originally posted by 77401
                I match existing on non ADA
                New installs 14" to the bottom of receptalces & 48 to top of switches.
                I think that fits the ADA requirements too?

Typically we use 15" and 45" to the center. Works out about the same as 77401's heights.
                Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by infinity
                  Typically we use 15" and 45" to the center. Works out about the same as 77401's heights.
                  We find it easier to measure the bottom & top of boxes if they are all the same.
                  Close enough no one will tell the difference.

My first new house as an apprentice the switches were at 30". Designer said it was a more natural reach since your hands are at that height. I wonder if the owners of that house ever gets any exercise at all?

Comment

In my shop, receptacles go at hammer height to bottom of box. (MY HAMMER). Works out to 14-1/4" to bottom. All new hires must either measure my hammer or buy the same one that I use, lol. In reality, I don't even work in the field anymore but when I was out there that was the way it worked.
                    Jim

Comment

Tick off the drywallers...go 48" to the center of your switches.
                      It's not rocket surgery!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim W in Tampa
                        18 to center works great on cbs homes.Works out to only breaking one cell.
                        Full agreement. I have always located at 18 center unless otherwise noted on the print
                        Play it SAFE....check for voltage. It could save your life.

Comment

Originally posted by paul
                          Tick off the drywallers...go 48" to the center of your switches.
                          Make the top of box 47 1/2 inches, that really hurts them

Comment

yeah....unless they decide to bury you.
                            Play it SAFE....check for voltage. It could save your life.

Comment

Originally posted by dingokangaroo
                              yeah....unless they decide to bury you.
                              I carry a big hammer

Comment

Working...
                              X