This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appliance Garage

Can a receptacle outlet installed in an appliance garage be on one of the two small appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1). Or does 210.52(B)(2) "No Other Outlets" come into play?

Jim
    New Hampshire
    Jim, NH
    ------------
    [COLOR="Blue"]I bought a dog just so people wouldn't think I was talking to myself.[/COLOR]:D

Jim
    This is a good question, of which I believe you should hear plenty of answers about it.

My take is that it is not required to be GFCI protected, as it does not serve the countertop (it serves an appliance in the "garage"). Since it does not serve the countertop or the "kitchen" receptacles per se, but an appliance, it is not to be on the small appliance branch circuits. See 210.52(C)(5)...rendered not readily accessible by ...appliance garages...
    Last edited by Pierre C Belarge; 10-16-06, 04:26 PM.
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

Comment

I think it can. The restriction is that you don't get to take credit for a receptacle within an appliance garage, when you lay out counter top receptacles. They have to be no more than 24 inches apart, and the one inside the appliance garage doesn't count.
      Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
      Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

210.52 (B) Kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, or similiar area of a dwelling unit.

Hmmm I would say no. That isn't gospel, just my thoughts. Read the definitions for dwelling unit and garage in article 100. That's where I'm drawing my conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockedby277v
          210.52 (B) Kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, or similiar area of a dwelling unit.

Hmmm I would say no. That isn't gospel, just my thoughts. Read the definitions for dwelling unit and garage in article 100. That's where I'm drawing my conclusion.

Appliance garage is defined in article 100?
          Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

I was still typing my reply when Pierre posted his. I believe that the receptacle inside the appliance garage does serve the counter top. That receptacle normally would not be used for any other appliance, but that does not alter the fact that the appliance (within the garage) is physically located on the countertop.

I never had one of these "appliance garages" in my kitchen, and I've never seen one at a friend's house. But if I had one, I would probably use it to store the toaster. In that case, I would have to pull the toaster out of the garage, in order to use it. That definitely puts it on the countertop.

Comment

Ahhh got me. I was assuming an "appliance" in the garage. My bad.

Comment

Charlie
                Would you say that a receptacle in a cabinet serves the countertop?

BTW: Nice to see you back safe and sound!!!
                Instructor, Industry Advocate

Comment

My interpretation is that the receptacle in the appliance garage can be on one of the 2 SABC.s.
                  Formerly J Erickson as username.

Comment

"shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A)"
                    "shall serve all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C)"
                    "shall serve receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.(that is not using the exception)"

No Other Outlets.

Is this appliance garage a required outlet?

Jim
                    New Hampshire
                    Jim, NH
                    ------------
                    [COLOR="Blue"]I bought a dog just so people wouldn't think I was talking to myself.[/COLOR]:D

Comment

2005 code 210.52C(5) receptacle outlet location. IMO states the applaiance garage outlet may be on the one of the two required small appliance circuits , but will not count toward the spacing requirements of 210.52C(1) thru (C5)

Comment

Originally posted by charlie b
                        I was still typing my reply when Pierre posted his. I believe that the receptacle inside the appliance garage does serve the counter top. That receptacle normally would not be used for any other appliance, but that does not alter the fact that the appliance (within the garage) is physically located on the countertop.

I never had one of these "appliance garages" in my kitchen, and I've never seen one at a friend's house. But if I had one, I would probably use it to store the toaster. In that case, I would have to pull the toaster out of the garage, in order to use it. That definitely puts it on the countertop.
                        Exactly, so why not treat it the same.Just as easy to gfci protect it.Just no credit for it.
                        member of the Christine car club

Comment

[COLOR=black]
                          Originally posted by Pierre C Belarge
                          Charlie, would you say that a receptacle in a cabinet serves the countertop?
                          [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]
                          Originally posted by Pierre C Belarge
                          BTW: Nice to see you back safe and sound!!!
                          [/COLOR]
                          Many thanks. We had a lovely two weeks in the UK, visiting our daughter and her husband in Newcastle, and then seeing some of the sights in Edinburgh, Glasgow, and London.

Comment

Appliance garage can be on one of the two kitchen countertop circuits and is not used in the 2' spaceing but must be on GFI as it does serve the counter space as soon as you open it.
                            Unlimited Electric Contractor/Standard Electric Inspector/Traffic Signal Inspector/Highway Lighting and Level One Traffic Signal Installer.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Comment

AUTHOR'S COMMENT: That would be per Mike Holt...

An appliance garage is an enclosed area on the counter surface where an appliance can be stored and hidden from view when not in use. If a receptacle is installed inside an appliance garage, it cannot count as a required counter top receptacle outlet.

Question: Can a receptacle be installed inside an apppliance garage be connected to the small-applince circuit?

Answer This is a judgment call by the authority having jurisdiction, but receptacles for garbage disposals, dishwashers, compactors, etc., cannot be on the 20A 120V small appliance circuits (210.52(B)(2)).

This is from this article -

http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters....y&letterID=182

Scroll down to page 38 for all of it...

Looks like it's 90.4...and the odds don't look to great before you start.

I'll contact the gambling board here in Nevada for you so that we can bet out here! Odds makers were thinking 7 to 2 against you already...
                              Don't let fear be your guide!

Comment

Working...
                              X