Appliance Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

volt102

Can a receptacle outlet installed in an appliance garage be on one of the two small appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1). Or does 210.52(B)(2) "No Other Outlets" come into play?

Jim
New Hampshire

Jim
This is a good question, of which I believe you should hear plenty of answers about it.

My take is that it is not required to be GFCI protected, as it does not serve the countertop (it serves an appliance in the "garage"). Since it does not serve the countertop or the "kitchen" receptacles per se, but an appliance, it is not to be on the small appliance branch circuits. See 210.52(C)(5)...rendered not readily accessible by ...appliance garages...

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think it can. The restriction is that you don't get to take credit for a receptacle within an appliance garage, when you lay out counter top receptacles. They have to be no more than 24 inches apart, and the one inside the appliance garage doesn't count.

Shockedby277v

210.52 (B) Kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, or similiar area of a dwelling unit.

Hmmm I would say no. That isn't gospel, just my thoughts. Read the definitions for dwelling unit and garage in article 100. That's where I'm drawing my conclusion.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Shockedby277v said:
210.52 (B) Kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, or similiar area of a dwelling unit.

Hmmm I would say no. That isn't gospel, just my thoughts. Read the definitions for dwelling unit and garage in article 100. That's where I'm drawing my conclusion.

Appliance garage is defined in article 100?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I was still typing my reply when Pierre posted his. I believe that the receptacle inside the appliance garage does serve the counter top. That receptacle normally would not be used for any other appliance, but that does not alter the fact that the appliance (within the garage) is physically located on the countertop.

I never had one of these "appliance garages" in my kitchen, and I've never seen one at a friend's house. But if I had one, I would probably use it to store the toaster. In that case, I would have to pull the toaster out of the garage, in order to use it. That definitely puts it on the countertop.

volt102

"shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A)"
"shall serve all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C)"
"shall serve receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.(that is not using the exception)"

No Other Outlets.

Is this appliance garage a required outlet?

Jim
New Hampshire

2005 code 210.52C(5) receptacle outlet location. IMO states the applaiance garage outlet may be on the one of the two required small appliance circuits , but will not count toward the spacing requirements of 210.52C(1) thru (C5)

Jim W in Tampa

charlie b said:
I was still typing my reply when Pierre posted his. I believe that the receptacle inside the appliance garage does serve the counter top. That receptacle normally would not be used for any other appliance, but that does not alter the fact that the appliance (within the garage) is physically located on the countertop.

I never had one of these "appliance garages" in my kitchen, and I've never seen one at a friend's house. But if I had one, I would probably use it to store the toaster. In that case, I would have to pull the toaster out of the garage, in order to use it. That definitely puts it on the countertop.

Exactly, so why not treat it the same.Just as easy to gfci protect it.Just no credit for it.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Pierre C Belarge said:
Charlie, would you say that a receptacle in a cabinet serves the countertop?
I would not. But then, I have not seen a cabinet that actually sits on the countertop. In my kitchen, at least, any receptacle in a cabinet would be more than 20 inches above the surface of the countertop. We are thinking of a remodel that would involve a ?butler?s pantry,? so the situation may change.

Pierre C Belarge said:
BTW: Nice to see you back safe and sound!!!
Many thanks. We had a lovely two weeks in the UK, visiting our daughter and her husband in Newcastle, and then seeing some of the sights in Edinburgh, Glasgow, and London.

Cavie

Appliance garage can be on one of the two kitchen countertop circuits and is not used in the 2' spaceing but must be on GFI as it does serve the counter space as soon as you open it.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
AUTHOR'S COMMENT: That would be per Mike Holt...

An appliance garage is an enclosed area on the counter surface where an appliance can be stored and hidden from view when not in use. If a receptacle is installed inside an appliance garage, it cannot count as a required counter top receptacle outlet.

Question: Can a receptacle be installed inside an apppliance garage be connected to the small-applince circuit?

Answer This is a judgment call by the authority having jurisdiction, but receptacles for garbage disposals, dishwashers, compactors, etc., cannot be on the 20A 120V small appliance circuits (210.52(B)(2)).

This is from this article -

http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=182

Scroll down to page 38 for all of it...

Looks like it's 90.4...and the odds don't look to great before you start.

I'll contact the gambling board here in Nevada for you so that we can bet out here! Odds makers were thinking 7 to 2 against you already...

JohnJ0906

The appliance garages I have done sit on the countertop, so I have always put the outlet inside on the small appliance circuit, with gfci protection, and have never had an inspector say a word about it. Many kitchens have L-shaped counters, and the garage sits in the corner. I make sure I have an outlet within 24" of the garage on either side. As a matter of fact, when laying out a kichen counter, I try to allow for one, because they are often added later.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A related question, and my opinion, is whether the appliance garage has any effect on the required receptacle spacing.
In other words, what if the garage is more than 24" wide?

Must the flanking receptacles still be no more than 24" apart? The typical garage spans well over 24" along the wall line, with at least one foot per side.

My answer, right or wrong:

The garage itself interrupts the countertop where it meets the wall. That means the flanking receptacles must be no closer than 24" from the respective garage side walls.

Opinions?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
LarryFine said:
A related question, and my opinion, is whether the appliance garage has any effect on the required receptacle spacing.
In other words, what if the garage is more than 24" wide?

Must the flanking receptacles still be no more than 24" apart? The typical garage spans well over 24" along the wall line, with at least one foot per side.

My answer, right or wrong:

The garage itself interrupts the countertop where it meets the wall. That means the flanking receptacles must be no closer than 24" from the respective garage side walls.

Opinions?

I agree also Larry.

Jim W in Tampa

Ran into my first one 20 years ago.GC added it without talking to me.To make inspector happy they had to remove it.I am sure it went back after the C/O.We should think about fact that next owner might not want it.I see it as no differant in use with or without garage,it is the same non fixed appliance that normally sits on counter.Just cant give it credit for spacing.The other receptacles in kitchen are on the SA so why not here ? As to the gfci ,why would it not be one of the slaves ?Still only need 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.