This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8-3 NM-B for hot tubs?

I called my local supply house for a price on 6-3 NM-B (what I run @ work for a 50 A hot tub) and was told I could run 8-3 NM-B and still run 50 A OCPD. Table 310.16 says OK in the 75 deg column, and if you look @ 110.14 (C) (1) (a) (3) IMO I think he's right. Boss says no and to run 6-3. Any one elses opinion would be appreciated. BTW all of my termination points are rated 75 deg or higher.

Romex as an assembly is rated 60 degrees. See 334.80
    John from Baltimore "One Day at a Time"

Comment

Originally posted by SLC James
      I called my local supply house for a price on 6-3 NM-B (what I run @ work for a 50 A hot tub) and was told I could run 8-3 NM-B and still run 50 A OCPD. Table 310.16 says OK in the 75 deg column, and if you look @ 110.14 (C) (1) (a) (3) IMO I think he's right. Boss says no and to run 6-3. Any one elses opinion would be appreciated. BTW all of my termination points are rated 75 deg or higher.
      No .no way, forget it.Pay for 6-3.But just how are you dealing with the insulated ground ?????
      member of the Christine car club

Comment

Insulated ground? NM-B has a solid#10. Am i missing something?

Comment

I think so maybe,read all of 680
          member of the Christine car club

Comment

I am refering to the branch circuit from the subpanel to the disconnect. All indoors,dry location.

Comment

I think you are OK. 680.42(C) says EGC that is "insulated or enclosed within the outer sheath of the wireing method"
              John from Baltimore "One Day at a Time"

Comment

most of the hot tubs I've been seeing say in the panel #6 copper minimum.
                [COLOR="Red"](Do the job right boy or don't do it at all.)[/COLOR]

Comment

Thats a good point. in new const, I generally don't get to see what goes in. The elect supply guy said he's been selling 8-3 for 50A hot tubs for years. Since he made the remark I figured it was worth looking into. I'll stick w\the 6-3.thanks for everyones input.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim W in Tampa
                    No .no way, forget it.Pay for 6-3.But just how are you dealing with the insulated ground ?????
                    Valid point depending on a couple of other questions, indoor or outdoor tub?What exactly is the romex being terminated to? Disconnect of some sort? and of what type?

Jim
                    New Hampshire
                    Jim, NH
                    ------------
                    [COLOR="Blue"]I bought a dog just so people wouldn't think I was talking to myself.[/COLOR]:D

Comment

Outdoor tub, At work we terminate in a 60 A Sq D. fuseless pullout handle. But in my reading if you use a fusible disconnect rated to at least 75 deg. you can get away with the 8-3 NM-b. but as
                      I talk with other friends in the trade and local inspectors, I get alot of yes and no's with each wire selection.

Comment

Then take John's advice, 334.80. 60 Degrees. Scratch the insulated ground remark.

Jim
                        New Hampshire
                        Jim, NH
                        ------------
                        [COLOR="Blue"]I bought a dog just so people wouldn't think I was talking to myself.[/COLOR]:D

Comment

you cant "get away with" anything here. regardless of the 75 deg terminations the conductor is only rated at the 60 deg table period,nm cables are only rated at the 60 degree table and your supply guy is wrong .imho

Comment

What do the specs require? I'm with wireman3736 here. I helped a friend with his hot tub a couple weeks ago. It required all #6 cu conductors. 2 hots, neut & grnd. No exceptions.
                            Ron

Comment

That's the first I've heard of a listing of a hot tub requiring a #6 EGC.

I'm kind of at a loss as to why they would require that.

But if it's in the listing, then a #6 is required by 110.3(B).

Comment

Working...
                              X