Flat screen tv above bath tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
stickboy1375 said:
I think its the best interest to get that kid away from TV for 5 minutes ...

Welcome to Mike Holt's parenting forum.
icon12.gif

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
If you're absolutely bound and determined, and licensed to perform the work, I'd suggest you look into something like an LCD monitor that is run from a 12v transformer and supports s-Video, then feed the audio and video from a safe distance to the monitor and speakers, which must also be installed a safe distance from the tub.

If you're looking for a super-trick installation, I've read papers on running s-Video over Cat5, so I believe the video signal isn't a problem, and s-Video is 4-wire as I recall. I don't know how well digital audio runs over Cat5 (I'm assuming "just fine"), in which case you might be able to make a single run of Cat5 handle both the audio and video portions.

I've been toying with the idea of installing a monitor to the side of one of my kitchen cabinets on a swing-out arm and feeding the video from the computer on the opposite side of the kitchen (yes, I have more computers than people or bedrooms, or both combined, for that matter ...). The idea being I'd run Cat5 up and over the kitchen ceiling from the existing Cat5 jack to the other wall. That way I can cook and surf the net at the same time :)

I've not done this yet, but will be sure to tell everyone all about it so y'all can start selling it as an upgrade :)

iwire

Staff member
tallgirl said:
If you're absolutely bound and determined, and licensed to perform the work, I'd suggest you look into something like an LCD monitor that is run from a 12v transformer

I agree. (I know that?s a surprise
icon12.gif
icon10.gif
)

I also think some flat screen company would be wise to market a unit just for this purpose.

Low voltage supply, remote electronics, and extra protection against humidity and condensation.

A heated screen would also be nice to keep it from steaming up; IMO there is a market out there for this type of product.

Jim W in Tampa

tallgirl said:
If you're absolutely bound and determined, and licensed to perform the work, I'd suggest you look into something like an LCD monitor that is run from a 12v transformer and supports s-Video, then feed the audio and video from a safe distance to the monitor and speakers, which must also be installed a safe distance from the tub.

If you're looking for a super-trick installation, I've read papers on running s-Video over Cat5, so I believe the video signal isn't a problem, and s-Video is 4-wire as I recall. I don't know how well digital audio runs over Cat5 (I'm assuming "just fine"), in which case you might be able to make a single run of Cat5 handle both the audio and video portions.

I've been toying with the idea of installing a monitor to the side of one of my kitchen cabinets on a swing-out arm and feeding the video from the computer on the opposite side of the kitchen (yes, I have more computers than people or bedrooms, or both combined, for that matter ...). The idea being I'd run Cat5 up and over the kitchen ceiling from the existing Cat5 jack to the other wall. That way I can cook and surf the net at the same time :)

I've not done this yet, but will be sure to tell everyone all about it so y'all can start selling it as an upgrade :)

12 volts is just as dangerous.Best advice he could giver her is a copy of what we all posted here and simply tell her he wont do it.Friends dont kill friends.

tallgirl

Occupation
iwire said:
I agree. (I know that?s a surprise
icon12.gif
icon10.gif
)

Bob, inside of your cynical, hardened heart exterior beats the heart of Clint Eastwood from "Bridges of Madison County" :)

I also think some flat screen company would be wise to market a unit just for this purpose.

Low voltage supply, remote electronics, and extra protection against humidity and condensation.

A heated screen would also be nice to keep it from steaming up; IMO there is a market out there for this type of product.

The only thing I can think of that doesn't already exist is the damp-rated flat panel. The rest of that stuff isn't theory -- it's reality RIGHT NOW. For example, all of the flat panels in the house (again, more than the number of people :) ) run on low-voltage transformers, and I believe they all support s-Video as an input format. If not, I know how to get from s-Video to VGA.

Infrared remotes are likewise available (duh) and can be used to control, well, everything. Add to that, long distance RF wireless keyboards and mice, and I'm sure Junior could surf until he turns into a prune.

My employer doesn't install televisions in bathrooms, so if y'all have any questions, I'm sure this part of my brain isn't owned by them on account of I can't see anything patentable in all this.

iwire

Staff member
tallgirl said:
Bob, inside of your cynical, hardened heart exterior beats the heart of Clint Eastwood from "Bridges of Madison County" :)

Yeah.....that?s me. :)

I consider myself more of a Neanderthal than a forward thinker...

Maybe I should give you the numbers of some of those that work for me...

Oh wait Peter D who works with me sent a PM today.

peter d said:
Yeah, we have fun and make fun of each other and sometimes you can be hard to get along with (big surprise there!)

And he likes me...
icon10.gif

tallgirl

Occupation
iwire said:
Oh wait Peter D who works with me sent a PM today.

And he likes me...
icon10.gif

Well, in spite of what you may think about me, I have a lot of respect for your knowledge and dedication.

No, there will be no group hug or singing of "Kumbaya" any time soon ...

racerdave3

When first reading this post, the only thing that popped into my head was scene from a horror movie where a tv drops into the tub electrocuting who is inside. Accidents can happen, and for me, some of the customers requests just are not worth it. I think that the mother needs to teach the kid that the bathroom is not a room to lounge in, rather a place to go in and do what you have to do, then leave. If the kid still finds it boring, then a rubber ducky may do the trick. Don't forget, every job we do is something that we own for life......so aside from any legal liability that could be incurred, it would bother me to no end to have it on my conscience if something were to happen.

Last edited:

tallgirl

Occupation
iwire said:
How about "Have a Drink On Me" by AC/DC instead?

And thanks for the kind words.

Cr@p. Apparently I've not bought any AC/DC since I started buying CDes. Twenty years ago.

There's always "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meat Loaf :)

Oakey

How the Hot Tub manuf. get away with installing pop up tv's and stereo's with speakers within this same area I have no idea. Even if there plastic or low voltage doesnt seem to be safe enough. We have to bond everything under the sun and the homeowner gets to watch Scooby Doo reruns on the LCD while in the tub.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.