Flat screen tv above bath tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Oakey said:
How the Hot Tub manuf. get away with installing pop up tv's and stereo's with speakers within this same area I have no idea.

The NEC does not apply to appliances. (Well most times)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This type of installation is sure to come up again. Would an acceptable and safe solution be to install the TV behind a tempered glass panel? Then the TV is not in the bathtub zone.
Its the same concept in spray paint booths to install the lights outside of the hazardous enviroment behind windows.

Occupation
Inspector
tom baker said:
This type of installation is sure to come up again. Would an acceptable and safe solution be to install the TV behind a tempered glass panel? Then the TV is not in the bathtub zone.
Its the same concept in spray paint booths to install the lights outside of the hazardous enviroment behind windows.

It is my understanding that if the TV is out of reach while standing in the tub it would be allowed.

chevyx92

stickboy1375 said:
I would tell her its a safety issue... as a parent myself, I would not go down this road....
This is no different a situation than having a recep next to sink with curlin iron plugged in and sink water running. Smart? NO!! But you can't prevent every situation and can't go on what if senarios. If you can install a gfi outside the shower/tub zone and still have the cord plug in, then I would say it's within code.

stickboy1375

thats the problem... Everyone involved would get sued... Do you think it was fair for McDonalds to pay some woman for spilling coffee on herself?

Last edited:

rich000

I agree iwth Tom Baker, why not cut out the wall, build a recess, install the recep and TV, then install a solid lexan cover with screws? That makes everything inaccessable.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
As frequently as this topic comes up in discussions here, there will likely be an attempt to put something in the code to cover this sooner or later. (Heck, I think I've even been made to install a receptacle for a TV once, but it's a dim memory.)

The question would be, how on earth would you prohibit the installation of an appliance that would likely not be present until after inspection? I think it would end up being like the "Christmas Lights" code, a great test question but an otherwise utterly unenforceable waste of ink.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am the only one who doesn't see a real danger in having a TV over a tub if it has GFCI protection?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Trevor, I'm a fairly clumsy person. I could probably engineer a decapitation with a large piece of glass suspended over my head, regardless of any electrical hazard. :)

GFI's don't last forever, but that argument may go away in coming years with improving technology.

It seems to me to be more of a vain, silly waste of a television (likely to not fare well with the humidity) and a waste of about the only non-technology time we have anymore. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm an electrician and I rarely ever check my GFI's. That's why I'm encouraged by some of the progress being hinted at in the future. It would be cool for a GFI to trip itself out when it dies. Someday... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.