Flat screen tv above bath tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcstansfield

a ho wants me to perminantly install a tv that direct tv satilite guy temporalily installed a year ago above her bath tub. my question is can i install a gfci above bath tub

stickboy1375

the tv is fine. but no receptacle is allowed 406.8 (2) (C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall

iwire

Staff member
cdcstansfield said:
so i would have to hard wire into the wall.would i have to use weather proof cover with a cord connector

Not unless the TV is listed for a hard wire connection.....and it is not.

iwire

Staff member
cdcstansfield said:
ok so i have to locate recpticle outside of outer edge of tub

If you decide to do the job than yes, outside the tubs foot print.

I would proably forget this one and move on if I had the choice.

JohnE

Even if you install the receptacle outside the tub space you'd have a potentially unsafe situation. I'd advise against installing TV above the tub. If HO is adamant, I might be inclined to install the receptacle in a legal location and decline to install the TV. If anyone ever gets hurt from the TV and you installed it, you might have some liability.

Towzzer

It brings a tear to my eye when single mothers can't get their flat screen televisions installed above their bathtubs without violating the nec.

iwire

Staff member
It is a real heartbreaker...

It's a tough call, leave it as is and they will use an extension cord, install it permanent and I would always feel responsible if someone got hurt.

Jim W in Tampa

cdcstansfield said:
the problem is she is one of my wifes friends,a neighbor and a single mother

How would you feel if them kids end up with no mother cause she got electricuted ?Please dont be a part of this.Only way thats safe that i know of is to put the tv in the room behind this tub and glass or plastic between them.I know as a beginner you find extra money tempting but becarefull.Not only is it illegal but you could end up being in court if any harm comes from your unlicensed work.

Status
Not open for further replies.