Hole Saw Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
What size hole saws do I need for 1" and 3/4" PVC connectors. The info that I have is for ridged, EMT and other conduits. Nothing on PVC. Since the connectors take the same locknut, I assume the ridged or EMT would be the same. BUT, they are not. (as far as the table say's) Just don't get it.

mdshunk

RMC and EMT have different OD's, but the connector hole saw sizes are the same. 7/8 for 1/2, 1-1/16 for 3/4... I forget the rest. Get an "electrician's hole saw kit" and forget about it.

celtic

1/2 = 7/8
3/4 = 1 1/8
1 = 1 3/8

Notice a pattern?
The hole size is 3/8 larger than the conduit size ;)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Mark,
You still have to drill to use the KO set. It is faster for the smaller holes to just use the holecutter and be done with it. (at least in my experience)
Don

mdshunk

don_resqcapt19 said:
Mark,
You still have to drill to use the KO set. It is faster for the smaller holes to just use the holecutter and be done with it. (at least in my experience)
Don
Right. There are times, however, due to equipment that may already be in the cabinet, that the extra chips from hole sawing are not tolerable. There will always be a place for slug busters and hole saws. My wrist won't take too much hole sawing action, but that's just me.

jwelectric

I have a magic trick that I use to make holes.

I just say make a hole here and somehow the hole appears or I save a little money on payday. lol!!!! :grin: :grin:

mark henderson

don_resqcapt19 said:
Mark,
Don

A lot of times when I am making holes it is an energized panel. I have the guys deenergize as much as possible but in some cases I will still have feeders coming in that the poco would have to kill. So as minimal shavings as possible.

But I do like the looks of them holecutters I might buy some to try on other applications:smile:
Mark

Tori

Don , what is the pricing for the hole cutter? unibits are quite dear - I save mine for using them for enlarging exsisting kos

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Mark,
A lot of times when I am making holes it is an energized panel. I have the guys deenergize as much as possible but in some cases I will still have feeders coming in that the poco would have to kill. So as minimal shavings as possible.
First it is an OSHA violation to work on or near energized equipment, and second how do you make the first hole for the KO pull bolt?
Don

mdshunk

don_resqcapt19 said:
I didn't see a C frame in the KO set that you linked to.
Yes, that is true. That is mostly due to the fact that I have not posted any links in this thread so far.

EDIT... just dawned on me that there's two of us with the same name in this thread. Maybe that's where we got mixed up. I was just throwing in that C-frame idea, in case somebody found it useful. It is a somewhat obscure piece of equipment that I'm sure many have not used. It sure is handy.

Last edited:

mark henderson

Yes there are to marks posting in this thread. But you (Marc) were answering just fine. LOL I know it is not good practice to work around energized equipment. I am a residential electrician I mostly punch holes in temporary panels for construction trailers. Most of the time by the time the trailer is there and I have had a trench dug there is a meter a the tpole. I tell my guys we have a no hot policy but if the have to we have guide lines to go by. The correct PPE must be used.

MARK H

Status
Not open for further replies.