pigtailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:
I agree, I thank all that do use the back-stab method, makes for some easy money... I've pulled receptacles out of the wall and have had the wires come right out... what kind of garbage is that? Now imagine a heavy load down stream of a few more receptacles installed with this method....
It ain't "easy money" when there is a waterbed or large aquarium in front of the &^$^#$ outlet, or a 2 ton big screen or range or............ Pigtail or die.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
stickboy1375 said:
Do they still make waterbeds? :smile:

Far as I know they do, it's just that most of us grow up and get tired of being seasick in bed. The last squeeze I had who had one was almost 20 years ago. It was dumped shortly after we committed cohabitation.

But that doesn't explain why fixing an outlet behind a water bed isn't easy money -- standing around waiting on the water to drain is a lot less difficult than kneeling in front of outlets for an equivalent amount of time.

allenwayne

Maybe I am wrong but I believe that the UL listing said.....That we could use the back stab openings or the screw terminals but not both together IE to hook and stab a receptacle.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
allenwayne said:
Maybe I am wrong but I believe that the UL listing said.....That we could use the back stab openings or the screw terminals but not both together IE to hook and stab a receptacle.

I believe "one of each" was permitted. That is, you could screw one half of a receptacle, then stab the other, but you couldn't screw and stab one half, then do something else to the other half, including ignore it.

paul

stickboy1375 said:
Do they still make waterbeds? :smile:

Dunno. But I do know that while cats have a blast chasing down the bubbles while you're washing the sheets...they tend to poke thousands of holes through the bed.

JES2727

allenwayne said:

No. The way I read it : You can use the side binding screw terminals and the push in type back wire concurrently. You cannot use the "screw actuated clamp type" back wire with it's associated screw on the side. I've never seen a screw actuated clamp type back wire device that would accept a wire under the screw anyway. But they do accept a wire on each side of the clamp, so you could put four #12 wires on each side of the device (2 per screw).

iwire

Staff member
JES2727 said:
I've never seen a screw actuated clamp type back wire device that would accept a wire under the screw anyway.

All that I get do.

I have a co-worker that refuses to use the clamp, he insists on wrapping the screw.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I dunno if anyone has put the link up yet, but the UL listing information for receptacles can be found here.

Screwless terminal connectors of the conductor push-in type (also known as "push-in-terminals") are restricted to 15 A branch circuits and are for connection with 14 AWG solid copper wire only. They are not intended for use with aluminum or copper-clad aluminum wire, 14 AWG stranded copper wire, or 12 AWG solid or stranded copper wire.

Single and duplex receptacles rated 15 and 20 A that are provided with more than one set of terminals for the connection of line and neutral conductors have been investigated to feed branch circuit conductors connected to other outlets on a multi-outlet branch circuit, as follows:

• Back wire (screw actuated clamp type) terminations with multiple wire access holes used concurrently to terminate more than one conductor
  • Side wire (binding screw) terminals used concurrently with their respective push-in (screwless) terminations to terminate more than one conductor

Single and duplex receptacles rated 15 and 20 A that are provided with more than one set of terminals for the connection of line and neutral conductors have not been investigated to feed branch circuit conductors connected to other outlets on a multi-outlet branch circuit, as follows:

• Side wire (binding screw) terminal with its associated back wire (screw actuated clamp type) terminal
  • Multiple conductors under a single binding screw
  • Multiple conductors in a single back wire hole

Duplex receptacles rated 15 and 20 A that are provided with break off tabs may have those tabs removed so that the two receptacles may be wired in a multi-wire branch circuit.
"Not investigated" is not the same as "not permitted", it means the AHJ must make the decision on approval, IMO.

Edit to add: I guess Larry did back in post #16 , whoops!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.