This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pigtailing

By code- When do you have to pigtail wires before terminating them to a receptacle? Where in the 2005 NEC book can I find this?

300.13(B). For grounded conductors.
    Ron

Comment

250.148 for grounding conductors.

Comment

Pigtailing

You have to pigtail grounded (neutral) conductors when you are using a multi-wire circuit. The reason being, if someone was to seperate the neutrals the downstream outlets would go from 120V to 220V because the neutral was interupted. Someone could remove a receptacle without realizing the implication of the rest of the circuit. See 300.13 (B)2005 NEC
        John,

Comment

Originally posted by S'mise
          You have to pigtail grounded (neutral) conductors when you are using a multi-wire circuit. The reason being, if someone was to seperate the neutrals the downstream outlets would go from 120V to 220V because the neutral was interupted. Someone could remove a receptacle without realizing the implication of the rest of the circuit. See 300.13 (B)2005 NEC

Actually the voltage might not change at all if the loads on the MWBC's are balanced. But you are correct that unbalanced loads could cause the voltage to be anywhere from 120 to 240 volts depending on the system.
          Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

However, there's nothing stopping anyone from untwisting that wirenut!!!!
            [COLOR="Blue"]It's not rocket surgery![/COLOR]

Comment

I do apologize for not being more specific- I am asking about all of the conductors. Black and White included. Apparently, you cant rely on the piece between the two screws to continue the circuit? Special occupancy or hazardous location possibly?

Comment

Originally posted by brent1
                Apparently, you cant rely on the piece between the two screws to continue the circuit?

UL seems to think it is okay...
                "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

Comment

Nothing in the code against feeding the hots through a recept, only shared neutrals and grounds.
                  [COLOR="Blue"]It's not rocket surgery![/COLOR]

Comment

300.13(B) is a requirement for the 'white wire' to be pigtailed in some installations.

There is no NEC requirement to ever pigtail the blacks.

Comment

On a semi-related thought: Is it allowable (say in a dwelling where you are more likely to have #14 ga wire) to use bothe the backstab terminals and the screw terminals? Say for 3 14/2's in a box. It's done all the time. I believe manufacturer's instructions prohibit this, but I need to check. I thought someone might have a quick answer.
                      Formerly J Erickson as username.

Comment

Originally posted by j_erickson
                        On a semi-related thought: Is it allowable (say in a dwelling where you are more likely to have #14 ga wire) to use bothe the backstab terminals and the screw terminals? Say for 3 14/2's in a box. It's done all the time. I believe manufacturer's instructions prohibit this, but I need to check. I thought someone might have a quick answer.
                        [COLOR=black]It's done all the time and save space when installing the device.[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=black]Personally I would fire a man for wasting time twisting a wire nut on where it is not needed.[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=black]Who does he think is paying for the wire nut and his labor to do all this needless work?[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=black]I had better not see him using the screw unless there is at least three or more cables in that box either. He ain't got time to be twisting things like wire nuts and screws while on my payroll. [/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=black]If it take one minute more to do all this needless work and there are 60 or more devices in the house then I have paid him for an hour that he could have been washing the van or polishing my boots or something constructive.[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=black]Until it is mandated in the book I will use the screws and the stab-locs and save that money spent on wire nuts for something important like a subscription to the Soap Operas Digest.[/COLOR]

UL allows this so I think it is okay and I hope that my renting and raving above caused at least one of you to grin just a little.
                        Mike Whitt
                        [COLOR=#000066]God answers Knee-Mail. [/COLOR]

Comment

UL simply says they have not tested the use of back stabs and screw terminals together.

This also applies to pressure plate type and their screws

Comment

Thanks Mike. :grin:

Thanks Bob.
                            Formerly J Erickson as username.

Comment

Brent1: Do you understand why this rule is in the NEC? There is a similar requirements for only one neutral wire under a screw in a panel.
                              Moderator-Washington State
                              Ancora Imparo

Comment

Working...
                              X