FAQ Feedback Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I recently slapped together a heap of frequently asked questions, to try to catch Bob in number of posts. :D

I probably screwed up at least five questions. Find them, and I will mail you a cookie. :)

Seriously, though, I would appreciate any corrections, comments, thinly veiled contempt, etc. ;)

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
This is counter productive. If you really want to catch up with Bob you need to tie him down and delete all the old threads. Posting a list of FAQs will reduce the overall number of threads and the number of chances you have to reply, thereby insuring that Bob will always have more posts than you.

peteo

George,

I don't know how you were thinking of adding this information in. I'll try to give you some of my
(convoluted logic)
(sarcastic p*** and vinegar)
(constructive criticism)
(choose one, two, three, or ignore all that follows - I can know nothing, and if I did know something I could not communicate it to you)

1) The best part is the abbreviations section. Charlie started a list like this, great idea, I think best done with a quick and dirty list for new members, just as you have it; OP, POCO, etc.

2) Questions relating to CEE may not work in all parts of the country. Around here, if you don't have it, that building better be more'n ten years old or else!

3) Green grounding screws may be required by local jurisdictions. Text in building codes can specifically prohibit sheet metal screws.

4) AFCI installation can be treated by the free Mike Holt graphics and/or technical areas. The article you have relates to one cycle, and I disagree with the statement about smoke detectors. To cover this subject takes researching the UL White book references for history, and keeping up involves some research and analysis of documentation provided by several sources, among which CMPs, the CPSC, industry, etc. Less is more - one more article just adds to confusion, and let me put it this way... if my business were to plan a strategy to sell this stuff, better believe that I'd like nothing better than a confused audience.

5) It's = It is

allenwayne

George you spend all to much time on this site, But I guess from where you are from there isn`t much else to do this time of year.LOL I bet your spouse can think of other things to do rather than watch you on here :) No disrespect intended.Hey again congrats on being appointed a moderator.I remember when you first posted calling yourself a 3rd year wireman.Glad this site has some new blood in it.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
tallgirl said:
Posting a list of FAQs will reduce the overall number of threads...
I hope not, and I suspect it won't make much of a difference. Generally, the new folks who ask a question on the list won't have looked at the FAQ before doing so. A big reason that I wanted to do this was because I like to link to other past discussions on the same topic when a thread starts, and this is a vehicle to having many good discussions jotted down and easier to find.

Over time I hope to flush it out with more links and graphics, some answers right now are only a sentence or two long.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
peteo said:
1) The best part is the abbreviations section. Charlie started a list like this, great idea, I think best done with a quick and dirty list for new members, just as you have it; OP, POCO, etc.
This is Charlie's list, actually. I think I added one or two that were missing, but the bulk of that was generated by Charlie in the old forum. Actually, going looking for that exact post was what got me started on wanting to do this.

2) Questions relating to CEE may not work in all parts of the country. Around here, if you don't have it, that building better be more'n ten years old or else!
Good thinking - that's a good angle to elaborate on.

3) Green grounding screws may be required by local jurisdictions. Text in building codes can specifically prohibit sheet metal screws.
Actually, sheet metal screws are prohibited by the NEC, 250.8.

I will add a disclaimer to the Table of Contents page to mention that local amendments could change the "right" answer to any of the questions, that's kind of an across the board kind of thing.

4) AFCI installation can be treated by the free Mike Holt graphics and/or technical areas. The article you have relates to one cycle, and I disagree with the statement about smoke detectors. To cover this subject takes researching the UL White book references for history, and keeping up involves some research and analysis of documentation provided by several sources, among which CMPs, the CPSC, industry, etc. Less is more - one more article just adds to confusion, and let me put it this way... if my business were to plan a strategy to sell this stuff, better believe that I'd like nothing better than a confused audience.
By "article" are you talking about the linked thread? I'd welcome links to good threads - it looks as though I haven't snagged any for the AFCI one.

GFCI's in particular, too - I went looking for a "How GFI's work" thread and came up empty-handed. There's been some with graphics and everything, and I couldn't find them.

I hope to add some Mike Holt graphics to a lot of these, too, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

5) It's = It is
I'll try to bear that in mind as I edit, but I'm not going to have an apostrophe edit session. :D

Peteo, thanks for the detailed reply. :cool:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Allen, you speak the truth - last night my wife was wanting help with her Psychology class, and I was busy fiddling. :D

(Most of the time when I'm on she's either at work or working on schoolwork not needing my help. :) )

Now that I've got the bulk of this roughed in, I'll tease it over time to make it better, and any ideas help. :cool:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
My only comment is that the "ground up or down" question should be in a 42 point font, bold, italic red, and flashing with arrows all around it.

Maybe that would keep one person from asking that question.

STeve

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
georgestolz said:
I'll try to bear that in mind as I edit, but I'm not going to have an apostrophe edit session. :D

If you're looking for help wordsmithing or proofreading text, feel free to drop me a PM. There are probably a number of us here who can help out with technical writing duties.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm not overly concerned with 100% accuracy as far as punctuation goes. Mainly, I'm concerned with clarity, accuracy, and having it as opinion-free as possible. As opinionated as I am, that's been tricky, and I doubt I've been horribly successful.

If someone writes a better answer to a question, that knocks one of mine out of the water, I will simply copy such a post into the FAQs and erase mine. :)

steved

georgestolz said:
GFCI's in particular, too - I went looking for a "How GFI's work" thread and came up empty-handed. There's been some with graphics and everything, and I couldn't find them.

This site has information on how GFCI's work.

Status
Not open for further replies.