X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Habitable Rooms - Lighting Outlet

210.70 A (1)
    Can a paddle fan be used in a room with two switch legs connected to fan with intention of future light kit? No light currently on fan. Does this
    meet the requirement of lighting outlet under 210.70 A (1) and 100
    Definitions?

Thanks,
    Mark

Originally posted by mrmark
    210.70 A (1)
    Can a paddle fan be used in a room with two switch legs connected to fan with intention of future light kit? No light currently on fan. Does this
    Definitions?

Thanks,
    Mark
    A fan is not a light. If you had a switched receptacle that would be acceptable.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

IMO, it does meet the requirements. Code requires a lighting outlet. The box with the switch legs is that outlet.
      Ron

Comment

Originally posted by rcarroll
        IMO, it does meet the requirements. Code requires a lighting outlet. The box with the switch legs is that outlet.
        After I responded so quickly I realized that a switched outlet meets code so why wouldn't a wire for a future light. I still have my doubts if it would pass everywhere. If you install an outlet for an overhead light and put a blank plate on it then it would not pass around here. We put in temp. keyless porcelain fixture.

Comment

I suggest wiring a receptacle to one of the switches now, and when a light-kit is added, bypass the switch for the receptacle then.

By the way, whenever I wire for a fan, I use 3-conductor cable, and connect the light-kit (usually blue) wire to the red, so if/when a light-kit is added, the canopy does not need to be dropped.
          Master Electrician
          Electrical Contractor
          Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon
            After I responded so quickly I realized that a switched outlet meets code so why wouldn't a wire for a future light. I still have my doubts if it would pass everywhere. If you install an outlet for an overhead light and put a blank plate on it then it would not pass around here. We put in temp. keyless porcelain fixture.
            How would you plug the lamp into the "future light kit"?

Comment

Originally posted by rcarroll
              And when the inspector asks you to make a light come on when you operate that switch . . . ?
              Master Electrician
              Electrical Contractor
              Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine
                And when the inspector asks you to make a light come on when you operate that switch . . . ?
                I am the inspector. A light does not come on when I hit the switch of a switched recep. 410.12 requires "in a completed installation, each outlet box shall be provided with a cover unless covered by means of a luminaire.....
                Ron

Comment

Well I had not looked at that way but that is a good point. Even though the light kit is not installed there is still (an outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder, a luminaire (lighting fixture), or a pendent cord terminating in a lampholder)
                  IMO it is acceptable.

Mark

electrical my life :D

Comment

so, when a tree falls in the Forrest, is there sound if no one is there to hear it?

If you have a switched outlet and nothing plugged into it, how would this be different than an overhead box wired with nothing connected. Both could still be tested for inspection.
                    Norb

Comment

Originally posted by 1793
                      so, when a tree falls in the Forrest, is there sound if no one is there to hear it?

If you have a switched outlet and nothing plugged into it, how would this be different than an overhead box wired with nothing connected. Both could still be tested for inspection.
                      I think the difference is the room is ready for a lamp with a switched outlet. The other way the HO would have to buy a light kit and get it installed. This is likely to not happen soon or they would have put the light in right away. Everyone has a lamp usually--- I have had HO ask me to hang a fan without a light and I won't do it. If they want a light then buy the light it is cheaper than the fan.

Why not put the light up and buy the fan later. That's what we do.

Comment

The difference is that it is within the average homeowner’s skill to plug in a floor lamp.

No, the question is, “When a tree falls in a forest, and a man is not there to hear it, will his wife say that the man is still wrong?”
                        Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
                        Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmark
                          210.70 A (1)
                          Definitions?

Thanks,
                          Mark
                          This same topic hit 279 replies last Fall: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthrea...t=light+outlet

Note that the original post in that thread was the result of failing final inspection, so we know how at least one inspector felt about it. The rest was the usual battle to an exhausted draw, with all parties clinging firmly to their positions.

Comment

All the code requires is an OUTLET.A fixture is not required.The outlet can be a box with caped off wires and a cover.And that is exactly what is at the bottom of that fan.Nothing says the switch cant control more than the light,it simply says wall switch controled.So if the fan comes on with it there is no violation. would say that box in the ceiling is an outlet.What customer puts on it is not the inspectors problem.Now if it does not permit a light kit then the inspector could tag you or say remove the fan and blank it off.
                            member of the Christine car club

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon
                              ...The other way the HO would have to buy a light kit and get it installed. ...
                              Thats why I'm in business. :grin: :grin:
                              Norb

Comment

Working...
                              X