Whirlpool tub bond lug

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack horner

Banned
infinity said:
The NEC doesn't require you to do this. If an inspector is requiring it he's incorrect unless some misguided instructions say it's required.

You are right. Some plumber wrote these instructions. If you read them they ask for 2 seperate #8 conductors to be run back to the "main panel" or "other approved location" One for the heater and another for the pump. WRONG!! Comply with CODE! No metal piping...No metal grounded surface....No bonding required.

raider1

Staff member
I don't feel out of place asking that it be grounded unless you can provide instructiosn that show the manufacturer doesn't require same.

If the pump requires grounding, this will be accomplished by the EGC that is brought with the branch-circuit that is feeding the hydro-massage bathtub. The bonding requirement of 680.74 is not to provide grounding but to bond together any metal piping systems and any grounded metal parts in direct contact with the circulating water.

There is no reason to bring a #8 wire from the motor on the bathtub to the panel. There is already a EGC run from the motor (If the motor is not double insulated) back to the panel.

Chris

M. D.

augie47 said:
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! M.D.,
This topic has been discussed often on the forum. Many moons ago I stated that in my inspections I had seen manufacturer's instructions that required a #8 from the bond lug (motor and/or heater) to the electrical panel. I was challenged, chastized, etc. and have been looking for the rare instruction sheet that shows this requirement. Thanks to you my hunt is over :) .....

You are welcome , I found another set page, 5 & 6.

http://www.homelivingsolutions.com/pdf/dignity-installation-9-19-05.pdf

I don't quite know what to say about these instructions or who, as late as 2005 or 2006 wrote them ,.but I'll tell you my "faith" in U.L.'s ability has been somewhat deminished .

donselectric

is it 4 in sq or over ?
if it is bond it
also if the instructions tell you to do it
a certain way then thats the law.
code says install by manu instructions

RUWIREDRITE

Bonding of metals

Bonding of metals

Whirlpool tub,
I'm assuming that means that this tub is located indoors perhaps in a master bathroom and not a Hot tub on the deck. I understand you stated all the plumbing was non- metallic, but how about that fancy Moen fixture feeding the whirlpool. I'm quite sure the're not plastic too, if they exceed 4 inches and length and are insulated on non metallic lines, they must be bonded.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
RUWIREDRITE said:
Whirlpool tub,
I'm assuming that means that this tub is located indoors perhaps in a master bathroom and not a Hot tub on the deck. I understand you stated all the plumbing was non- metallic, but how about that fancy Moen fixture feeding the whirlpool. I'm quite sure the're not plastic too, if they exceed 4 inches and length and are insulated on non metallic lines, they must be bonded.

And what article are you quoting that says this for a hydromassage tub

celtic

RUWIREDRITE said:
... how about that fancy Moen fixture feeding the whirlpool. I'm quite sure the're not plastic too, if they exceed 4 inches and length and are insulated on non metallic lines, they must be bonded.
Why?
Are they and the 4" copper nipples part of "metallic piping system"?
..or are they just faucets and connections?

RUWIREDRITE

Bonding

Bonding

If the faucets or faucet connections exceeding 4 inches in length and can possibly be energized they must be bonded as stated with all metallic supplies to a pool, hydromassage tub or spa. I will look up the Article number in a bit.

jack horner

Banned
donselectric said:
is it 4 in sq or over ?
if it is bond it
also if the instructions tell you to do it
a certain way then thats the law.
code says install by manu instructions
Where did this 4" thing come from? I disagree

jack horner

Banned
RUWIREDRITE said:
If the faucets or faucet connections exceeding 4 inches in length and can possibly be energized they must be bonded as stated with all metallic supplies to a pool, hydromassage tub or spa. I will look up the Article number in a bit.
No need to look it up. Look at my first post. It's not there

Last edited:

monkey

This has been a problem on home inspection reports. They will see a jacuzzi tub with an empty bonding lug on the motor and write it up as a shock hazard and put in the report to have it bonded by a licensed electrician, but there will be nothing metallic to bond it to. Most of the time it is an existing installation with no instructions present

celtic

monkey said:
This has been a problem on home inspection reports. They will see a jacuzzi tub with an empty bonding lug on the motor and write it up as a shock hazard and put in the report to have it bonded by a licensed electrician, but there will be nothing metallic to bond it to. Most of the time it is an existing installation with no instructions present

The HI's need to better aware of what they are reporting as "deficiencies.
Have the buyers submit the EC's bill to to the HI, that will greatly enhance the learning curve.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
RUWIREDRITE said:

That's not correct. Pools and hydromassage tubs have different requirements. A hydro tub does not require the metal water pipe supplying the metal faucet or the faucet itself to be bonded to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.