This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another jacuzzi tub bonding question???

Given: a jacuzzi tub with the motor and heater, which both have bonding lugs. There is nothing else to bond to other than the cold and hot copper water pipes feeding the tub. Is this what in effect should be done? Thanks for your input.

680.74 requires the motor be bonded to piping in contact with the circulating water. The supply pipes are not in contact with the circulating water, so they are not required to be bonded.

The circulating pipes are generally plastic, so no bonding is required.

Comment

In some of the manufactures specs it states that they must be grounded. It says to the plumbing if copper or another source.
      I was actually reading some this morning for the tubs with the heaters. The tubs I looked at needed 2 to 3 20amp circuits.

Mark

edit: to add the specs said grounded NOT bonded

electrical my life :D

Comment

I would agree with george even though we do make them take a bond wire back to the cold water pipe.

Now my reason for that is because it is supplied with a bonding lug(s), so they must have wanted it bonded. My tube for instance did not come with one, so......
        I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

[COLOR=red]There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.[/COLOR]

John Childress
        Electrical Inspector
        IAEI / CEI / C10
        Certified Electrical Inspector

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyjwc
          I would agree with george even though we do make them take a bond wire back to the cold water pipe.

Now my reason for that is because it is supplied with a bonding lug(s), so they must have wanted it bonded. My tube for instance did not come with one, so......

Why would you require something that isn't required by the NEC? The inclusion of a bonding lug doesn't mean that you get to add verbiage to the NEC. As George properly stated the requirement is for bonding to the metal piping of the water circulation system. If the water circulation piping is plastic how can you require anything further?
          Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

John, good night and good luck.

Comment

The motor instructions do say "to bond to all metal conduits and metal piping within 5' of the inside walls of the tub". I'm assuming that the hot and cold water pipes apply here to be bonded with the motor and heater with the #8 solid copper based on these specifications???

Comment

Could you show us a copy of the instructions? Do you have a digital camera or a scanner handy?

I'd be curious to see it for myself.

Comment

Here is the action taken

Now the question is does 110.3(B) apply. I have found installation instructions that call for such bonding as well. Some say that these instructions are not part of the listing and labeling , I disagree.
                  [COLOR=black][COLOR=black]"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
                  If we falter and lose our freedoms,
                  it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
                  [/COLOR][/COLOR]
                  Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by georgestolz
                    Could you show us a copy of the instructions? Do you have a digital camera or a scanner handy?

I'd be curious to see it for myself.

George, you can find links to three different examples in this thread ,.. pages 1,3,5, http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=85816
                    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
                    Abraham Lincoln

Comment

680.74 requires the motor be bonded to piping in contact with the circulating water. The supply pipes are not in contact with the circulating water, so they are not required to be bonded.
                      Actually George,

680.74 requires "All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together....".

So, as I read this section the supply pipes don't have to be in contact with the circulating water, if they are metal and we have grounded metal parts that are in contact with the circulating water then those items must be bonded together.

Again, this is dealing with 680.74 not any manufactures installation instructions.

Chris

Comment

http://www.jacuzzi.com/pdf/K339.PDF

The one on page 1 has apparently been pulled, I'll check the others next...

Comment

Originally posted by georgestolz
                          http://www.jacuzzi.com/pdf/K339.PDF

The one on page 1 has apparently been pulled, I'll check the others next...

Sorry to hear it , try this one ;http://jacuzzi.com/pdf/K339000.PDF?S...18&goinst.y=13

if not here is the wording;

With a #8 solid copper wire, bond the heater to the house electrical panel or approved local bond. A bonding lug is
                          provided on the heater. With another #8 solid copper wire, bond the pump/motor to the house electrical panel or
                          approved local bond. A bonding lug is provided on the pump/motor.
                          [/COLOR][/COLOR]
                          Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by raider1
                            680.74 requires "All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together....".

So, as I read this section the supply pipes don't have to be in contact with the circulating water, if they are metal and we have grounded metal parts that are in contact with the circulating water then those items must be bonded together.
                            Chris
                            I don't quite see it that way. To me it says that if the metal piping system and any metal parts are in contact with the circulating water then it shall be bonded.

Originally posted by cowboyjwc
                            Now my reason for that is because it is supplied with a bonding lug(s), so they must have wanted it bonded. My tub for instance did not come with one, so......
                            Isn't it possible that the motors may be used for different application in which the bonding is necessary. The manufacturer puts together the parts made by other companies. Those motors may be used for outdoor spas or some other function where the bonding is necessary.
                            They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                            She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                            I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

So Dennis,

Are you saying that the "metal piping system" must be in contact with the circulating water?

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X