Combination Arc Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEC 210.12 will require combination arc faults for bedrooms beginning January 1, 2008. Please explain what is a combination arc fault in contrast to a brranch circuit arc fault? Are these items now on the market and readily available? I have heard that the combination arc faults do not work properly if wired in series. Help! I'm a residential inspector!:-?

raider1

Staff member
Here is a link to NEMA and a FAQ page dealing with AFCI's.

I personally haven't seen any combination AFCI breakers avaliable at my local supply house, but there are some manufacturers that state they have them avaliable.

Chris

Ron Kepner said:
NEC 210.12 will require combination arc faults for bedrooms beginning January 1, 2008. ... Help! I'm a residential inspector!:-?

Does your AHJ actually adopt the new NEC on Jan 1? Here in Oregon it is usually April or May of code change year.

davidr43229

This week, I was at a Trade Show, where Square D had literature on Combination AFCI:
http://www.squared.com/us/products/circuit_breakers.nsf/unid/617D2D6F3F84CFB6852571F1005D526F/$file/comboafciFrameset.htm
It's a combination of an ACFI and GFCI covering the full range of Arc Faults.
While some states (2) have delcaired they will adopted the 2008 NEC, they have made an exception regardling AFCI's
Just my $.02

iwire

Staff member
Jack Maynard said:
Does your AHJ actually adopt the new NEC on Jan 1? Here in Oregon it is usually April or May of code change year.

Jack the rule is actually in the 2005 NEC, as long as an area is using the un-amended 2005 NEC the requirement for combination AFCIs takes effect.

Check out 2005 - 210.12

Chris6245

davidr43229 said:
This week, I was at a Trade Show, where Square D had literature on Combination AFCI:
http://www.squared.com/us/products/circuit_breakers.nsf/unid/617D2D6F3F84CFB6852571F1005D526F/$file/comboafciFrameset.htm
It's a combination of an ACFI and GFCI covering the full range of Arc Faults.
While some states (2) have delcaired they will adopted the 2008 NEC, they have made an exception regardling AFCI's
Just my $.02
I think you may want to go to that link again and read it closely. A combination AFCI is not a AFCI and GFCI combined. A Combination AFCI detects both parallel and series arching...This has nothing to do with GFCI protection.

Cavie

mdshunk said:
Cutler Hammer combination arc faults have been able to be ordered from my CH supplier for a few weeks now. They actually had the press release on their availability a couple months ago.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/OurCompany/NewsandEvents/NewsList/CT_128888

How are the new AF's going to be visauly identified from the old? What color will the test button be? I could not get this info from the link provided above.

Arc Faults Combination

Arc Faults Combination

The NEC 2005 and the IRC 2006 both require the use of the combination arc faults in bedrooms beginning January 1, 2008. Any building/electrical permit issued after January 1, 2008 is within the current IRC and NEC Code cycle and is already in effect (in Pennsylvania). Therefore, waiting for the next Code cycle to apply this existing code requirement is not applicable. The current code cycle contains this requirement even though it is not enforceable until January 1, 2008. As the AHJ, I must enforce this item as of January 1, 2008. Is the industry and the trades ready for this?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
At the Western Section IAEI meeting, Eaton, Square D and Siemens had combination AFCI devices on display and all three say they are currently available. At this time those are the only breaker manufacturers that have a listing for combination AFCIs on the UL website.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.