This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermal Rating of Bollards

We have a project that has reported that the metal halide bollard housings installed are getting very hot to the touch. I have searched the NEC and can not find any regulations limiting the outside temperature. Does anyone know of any regulations limiting how hot a lighting bollard housing can be?

Thank you,

Chris

Originally posted by Chris3585 View Post
    Does anyone know of any regulations limiting how hot a lighting bollard housing can be?
    No.

Originally posted by Chris3585 View Post
    We have a project that has reported that the metal halide bollard housings installed are getting very hot to the touch.
    Ummm...tell them to quit touching it. A 60 W incandescent bulb will burn the crap out of you if you grab it. Solution: don't grab it!
    Engineers are always honest in matters of technology and human relationships. That's why it's a good idea to keep engineers away from customers, romantic interests, and anyone else who can't handle the truth.

Comment

That would be a UL product listing issue. But hot on the outside means hotter on the inside, is the ballast or circuit boards getting baked?
      Moderator-Washington State
      Ancora Imparo

Comment

The ballast is in the base, which is not getting hot. I have been told that the top of the fixture is very hot and the lamp is near the top. The top of the bollard is somewhat flat and aproximatley 42" above grade. Someone could stand next to this bollard and place their hand on top to lean against it. The owner is afraid of someone being burned by this bollard.

Do you have the UL listing information? I have heard from some sources that there is a limit of 120F. I have been trying to get information from the the manufacturer through the local lighting rep by they are not responding very quickly.

Comment

Working...
        X