How can you attach a small Excel spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't know that you can. I started typing this reply just so I could find out. I hit the "manage attachments" button below the message box. It gave me a list of file types that can be attached. Word documents are on the list, but Excel spreadsheets are not.

cycotcskir

Good idea but it will be deleted after 90 days so it can't be archived. Thanks :)

Maybe the forum could dedicate some space on it's server (or mikeholt.com) for the Mod's to cache files. You could control it and keep it from getting crazy stuff in there. All you would need to do is link to it and you can keep it on there as long as you wish.

If users wish to add something of the sort, they would just need to contact a Mod.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I don't know that you can. I started typing this reply just so I could find out. I hit the "manage attachments" button below the message box. It gave me a list of file types that can be attached. Word documents are on the list, but Excel spreadsheets are not.
I regularly send executables to two companies whose filters block exe; we've found that renaming to an allowed type has worked. The receiver saves it then renames it back tot he correct file type.

This really does not "cheat" the reason for it being forbidden ... to prevent ignorant users from installing virus or other malware. If the forum would frown on it, I do not suggest being sneaky, but I have sent .xex files many times where .exe and .zip were forbidden ... the rename is obvious.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
You can insert an excel spreadsheet into a doc file.

Open word, and pick insert table, then excel spreadsheet.

Then you can upload using the manage attachments, and insert a link.

I'm not sure if this is any help. It keeps the excel spreadsheet editable, but I'm not sure how you would save any changes anyone else made. (I'm assuming you want to share a spreadsheet that everyone can modify.)

Steve

charlie

You can insert an excel spreadsheet into a doc file. . .
Steve, I just checked your method and it works great. The formulas came over and remained active after a double click on the table. However, I have posted a method that did work as well. Since there are now two methods that work, I am closing this thread. Thanks to everyone that replied. :smile:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.