5' of conduit on both sides of firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Security101

Quick question I hope....

We were told we need 5' of conduit on each side of a 2hr firewall in an assembly application for our CCTV runs. This is a art museum type application if that matters...

Originally we had some flex (tight area and difficult to plumb), fire caulked in (like some other existing penetrations).

I had never heard of this, nor had the on-site sparky. We are going to pull back all our wire and comply, but I was just wondering on your take on this requirement if in fact one exists.

I think it must be a insurance requirement and not code - but I don't know for sure...

Jim

Cavie

Quick question I hope....

We were told we need 5' of conduit on each side of a 2hr firewall in an assembly application for our CCTV runs. This is a art museum type application if that matters...

Originally we had some flex (tight area and difficult to plumb), fire caulked in (like some other existing penetrations).

I had never heard of this, nor had the on-site sparky. We are going to pull back all our wire and comply, but I was just wondering on your take on this requirement if in fact one exists.

I think it must be a insurance requirement and not code - but I don't know for sure...

Jim

Sounds like a local fire god.

jrdsg

piping fire penetrations

piping fire penetrations

we're in canada, but we've run into similar requirements on several jobs. it's a local AHJ discretionary thing.

e57

I too have heard this 5' both sides of a wall thing before. I think it's one of those myth becomes law of the land things. But that said I cant think of a 2 hour rated assembly for a flexible conduit application. (I rarely use it... Local code limits use of flex) Most products are for conduit (Non-flexible) or cable - but I don't know of many for flexible conduit. If you can find one and produce a white paper for the assembly - you're set - if not, you're not...

Something like this...

But I think you may even find more 2-hour products for cable by itself....

Last edited:

ivsenroute

A true "fire wall" for a museum which is a type "A" occupancy classification would need a minimum of a 3 hour rating depending on the type of construction.

A true fire-wall is a self supporting structure that allows the collapse of a building on either side without affecting the fire wall itself.

Fire walls are designed and the approved design becomes the code so what did the prints show & or specify?

Security101

Interesting...

Maybe the extra feet are to hold up the other side :D

There were no prints, retro, and the curators were requesting this addition/change and expressed that this was required.

We complied as requested as it was just quicker than trying to prove it one way or the other, and the request did not appear to cause additional problems or concerns to us for life safety or fire spread. We already had enough cable in the service loops - no real biggie!

Jim

Jim W in Tampa

Interesting...

Maybe the extra feet are to hold up the other side :D

There were no prints, retro, and the curators were requesting this addition/change and expressed that this was required.

We complied as requested as it was just quicker than trying to prove it one way or the other, and the request did not appear to cause additional problems or concerns to us for life safety or fire spread. We already had enough cable in the service loops - no real biggie!

Jim

OK now bill it as an extra unlless there is a code i writeing. Customer says change because of any reason then its extra unless you were in violation. Hand fire chief the bill, they are not god

Status
Not open for further replies.