Wiring Method question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsamuel

Where in the code does it prevent using a 120/208 panel to be used to pull through wiring from another 120/208 panel. Basically the panel is being used as a pull box.

I had a case where I locked out a panel and had live conductors from a different power source that used the distribution panel as a pull box to save conduit.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

You can use a cabinet for a j-box or raceway provided that adequate space is provided by the manufacture. Take a look at 312.8 and be sure to read the entire section.

Chris

wsamuel

Using a distribution panel as a pull box

Using a distribution panel as a pull box

I had a situation where a 120/208 panel was used as a pull box saving conduit. I powered down the subpanrl and found the live wires with a ticker. Where is it prohibited in the nec?

wsamuel

safety part 2

safety part 2

I did not see where it was prohibited but it seems having power from multiple sources should be prohibited.

Not everyone has a ticker when a buss id killed for a panel it should be powered down.

I did not even see a requirement requiring a nameplate disclosing multiple power sources.

suggestions

charlie

The NEC is a permissive document, if it doesn't say you can't . . . you can. In this process, there are a lot of things you can dream up that may not make sense and are unusual. If you create something like that, perhaps some signage to let the next person know what you did would be in order. :)

iwire

Staff member
wsamuel, welcome to the forum, I merged your two threads, please do not ask the same question in two different threads. :smile:

I did not see where it was prohibited but it seems having power from multiple sources should be prohibited.

It is not and it is very common in a lot of equipment.

Not everyone has a ticker when a buss id killed for a panel it should be powered down.

They should and no one should be counting on the people before them following the NEC anyway.

suggestions

Always test and never assume.

iwire

Staff member
How does 408.3(A)(3) factor into this? Is it applicable to this application?

It does figure into it if this panel is a 'switchboard'.

ElectricHouse06.jpg

nakulak

I did not even see a requirement requiring a nameplate disclosing multiple power sources.

suggestions

as Bob said, its allowed, and if you want to stay alive check twice before grabbing the wires with your paws. If you don't have the right equipment, get the right equipment (a ticker and a voltmeter can save your life, so is a few bucks worth getting killed ?)

wawireguy

I think I get it. Since that one section covers switchboards and isn't referencing panelboards it doesn't apply to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.