Tamper-Resistant Weather-Resistant ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Iceman

406.11 says we need Tamper-Resistant receptacles in dwelling units including outdoors. 406.8 A and B says we need Weather-Resistant receptacles in damp or wet locations. That means we need Tamper-Resistant and Weather-Resistant type receptacles installed outdoors in dwelling units? Are they the same thing or is this two different types of receptacles? I'm cornfused.:confused:

iwire

Staff member
Yes they are different, Pass & Seymour has them all and others might now as well.

Indoors in a dwelling all you need is TRs

Outdoors at a dwelling you need TR / WRs

Outdoors at a non-dwelling you need WRs

The Iceman

Yes they are different, Pass & Seymour has them all and others might now as well.

Indoors in a dwelling all you need is TRs

Outdoors at a dwelling you need TR / WRs

Outdoors at a non-dwelling you need WRs

Thanks, Ok so they do have TR / WR all in one. I can't wait to see how many different types of receptacles I'm going to have to stock on my service van in the next couple of months. White, Ivory, Almond, 15A, 20A, decora, regular, TR, TR / WR, WRs, all these combinations will fill half a van.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
406.11 says we need Tamper-Resistant receptacles in dwelling units including outdoors. 406.8 A and B says we need Weather-Resistant receptacles in damp or wet locations. That means we need Tamper-Resistant and Weather-Resistant type receptacles installed outdoors in dwelling units? Are they the same thing or is this two different types of receptacles? I'm cornfused.:confused:

You also need TR, WR GFCI's in some cases. As stated they are readily available, at least in NC. Most places will only stock those WR recep. in white.

The Iceman

You also need TR, WR GFCI's in some cases. As stated they are readily available, at least in NC. Most places will only stock those WR recep. in white.

Wow! Just doing a rough calculation, If I wanted to keep 4 of each type I would need room for a couple hundred receptacles.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Wow! Just doing a rough calculation, If I wanted to keep 4 of each type I would need room for a couple hundred receptacles.

Stocking will be a PITA but I guess I will not carry the standard receptacles any more. I also won't stock much decora or light almond-- mostly white but even that is a pain. The WR TR GFCI recep. are about $2 more then the plain TR GFCI. I may just eliminate the plain TR GFCI from my truck inventory. Any way you choose it will be a PITA.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I was thinking the same, I would choose one color for all my outdoor devices and would not worry if it did not match the color of the inside devices.

And this is another reason, for me, to not use the clear glass bubble covers. I hate the way they look anyway but at least the gray or white covers will hide the device esp after all the dirt gets in there.:D

Davis9

I stock the wr tr stuff in Brown, that way my guys don't mix them up and use them in the house.:grin:

Tom

The Iceman

Yeah, for outdoor you need a few TR/WR duplexes and GFCI's in one color. :confused:

For inside you just replace all your stock with TR stuff. Seems pretty simple to me, but sometimes people have a way of complicating very simple things.

Yeah, I guess I could cut it back alot. I'm not trying to complicate anything, I just started studying all the 2008 code changes. I came across the receptacle changes and I'm trying to figure out how to stock my van as efficient as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.