EMT fittings in pool area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Soine

I am running EMT conduit on a wall 6 ft. from the edge of the pool and 12 ft 6 in above the pool deck. Am I required to use compression fittings or could I get away with set screw type?

Jim W in Tampa

How would you answer his question?

Ok based on what he told us i assume he knows if in wet location needs compression. I took question as meaning because of being a pool and nothing else. The pool is not whats requiring compression . Wet does . Remove pool out of question as if this was on a test. POOL only confuses question.

M. D.

Are all compression type listed as rain tight ? I seem to remember some hub bub about that a few years ago ,.. any who ,..I would make sure they are listed rain tight is they are in fact subject to rain..

Jim W in Tampa

Are all compression type listed as rain tight ? I seem to remember some hub bub about that a few years ago ,.. any who ,..I would make sure they are listed rain tight is they are in fact subject to rain..

Personally i dought any are rain tight. Does seem that there was issue few months ago over this and some are not listed. The ones with plastic incert might be but bet water can still get in

M. D.

Personally i dought any are rain tight. Does seem that there was issue few months ago over this and some are not listed. The ones with plastic incert might be but bet water can still get in

As long as I can show the "man" that I used the proper fitting and it's listed for the application, I'm happy.

UL | Rain-Tight Compression-Type EMT Fittings

As of June 2005, several manufacturers are authorized to mark their Listed compression type EMT fittings with the rain-tight marking up to 2 inch trade size. At least one manufacturer has up to 3 inch trade size fittings Listed for rain-tight or wet locations.
These fittings are typically provided with additional gaskets, sealing or "O" rings, or additional assembly instructions that must be followed to exclude water. The instructions on the carton must be followed for proper installation. Look for the rain-tight or wet locations marking on the container and the UL Mark on the fitting.

Doug S.

That's a whole 'nother can of worms... we all KNOW NOTHING can keep water out forever weather it 3r or 4x.

cadpoint

No there are not, a rain tight EMT connector has a Green throat bushing
and a different thread ratio on the compression thread themselves. (OK, at least the one that showed up on the last job)

A rain tight compression connectors at a shade of blue on the compression connectors itself, with the same different thread ratio.

Thread ratio (My term) the thread per inch are more threads per inch, a stand compression hub will not work on a rain light fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.