Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
bussmandist.jpg
[/IMG]

These are what I like to use, Polaris connectors are also nice and easy to use.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
They do make these little plastic covers that fit over them just incase you didn't know.:rolleyes:

EBFD6

put me down as another vote for "Polaris" type connectors. We use em for all types of applications. No more split bolts and rubber tape for this guy!

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Lets not forget to take into account sizing of the wireway.

Here is a good link from BLine for sizing of wireways

Not sure exactly where sizing came into question...

Basically what peaked my interest is a lot of MH illustrations that show what looks like an unbroken conductor with a few taps off of it.

In a situation like that do you guys use a connector that clamps around the conductor and has a terminal for the tap?

Or is it more common to cut the conductor and bring both ends into a connector that also has a terminal for the tap?

Thanks

Mike01

Power Distribution Blocks

Power Distribution Blocks

To me the power distribution blocks (splice blocks) are the way to go the even offer polycarbonate clear covers so there are no exposed energized parts, we always leave a few spare terminations on the secondary to add future panels this also provides an easy way to test and verify connections, another method I have seen is a single larger conductor and the use of a ?self piercing? splice adapter I have seen these used a lot in wireways also it can be convenient when taping an existing conductor, it is less time consuming with existing applications.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Thanks for posting this pic.

Does anyone use something that can tap an unbroken conductor besides a split bolt?

Polaris IPLD. This is taking into consideration that the unbroken conductor can be pulled out of its existing termination and the connector slid over it fairly easily. Piece of cake for new installs. Bear in mind the if your tapping a 500 of instance, you need to get a polaris for a 600 so it will slide over the 500's insulation.

Link.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I was going to say what Chris posted. We build a lot of strut stanchions with wireway and disconnects utilizing Polaris insulated taps. Distribution blocks are the cats meow but we use the Polaris taps I'm told because they're slightly cheaper. Either way works well.

ericsherman37

put me down as another vote for "Polaris" type connectors. We use em for all types of applications. No more split bolts and rubber tape for this guy!

My boss is from the stone age and keeps telling us to quit buying Polaris connectors because they're too expensive.

We always argue the point and tell him that split bolts + tape take three times as long to install. Not to mention the spectre of having to take them back apart to do something else with it.

I don't understand why he doesn't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.