Feeders Coordinated with Panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a situation where someone is installing a panelboard in a detached garage. The panelboard is rated at 125-amps.

They are being fed and protected by #6 wire and a 50-amp circuit breaker.

I would think that the panel bus has to be coordinated with the conductors.

I know (the owner told me) that the reason he's installing a 125-amp panel is because it has more circuits that a 60-amp panel. WELL... that's the point. There's a reason that you can't find 60-amp panels with over 10 CB's. Discussing this with my inspection supervisor, he doesn't see a problem. Under this reasoning, he could install a 200-amp panel so he could have 42 circuits for his workshop and then feed it with #6 wire and a 50-amp circuit breaker and this simply seems obviously wrong.

Any help on a code or UL-listing level?

Thanks for any input.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I have a situation where someone is installing a panelboard in a detached garage. The panelboard is rated at 125-amps.

They are being fed and protected by #6 wire and a 50-amp circuit breaker.

I would think that the panel bus has to be coordinated with the conductors.

I know (the owner told me) that the reason he's installing a 125-amp panel is because it has more circuits that a 60-amp panel. WELL... that's the point. There's a reason that you can't find 60-amp panels with over 10 CB's. Discussing this with my inspection supervisor, he doesn't see a problem. Under this reasoning, he could install a 200-amp panel so he could have 42 circuits for his workshop and then feed it with #6 wire and a 50-amp circuit breaker and this simply seems obviously wrong.

Any help on a code or UL-listing level?

Thanks for any input.

Don't think you'll get much help. As long as the circuit provides for the calculated load it's fine. He could have a bunch for individual BC all supplying small loads and it would work. The 6AWG is certainly acceptable for a circuit protecte by a 50a OCPD

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
supervisor and owner are right. as long as the feeder handles the calculated load, the size of panel and number of breakers above that is simply an added expensel, not a NEC problem.
One day he may want a bigger feeder and he alrady has the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.