Conduit Installation - 100 feet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a code that says I have to install a J-box for every hundred feet of pipe? I've done this to engineer specs before but is there a specific code for this? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the book........thanks....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You won't find this in the NEC because there is no requirement for a box every 100'.

Welcome to the forum. :)

PCN

When this same question was asked some time ago there was a response that I thought was great.

"Your only limited by the numbers of bends and the length of your pull rope".

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The 100' limitation went by the wayside the same time the high leg on a 4-wire Delta went from 190v to 208v. ;)

JFletcher

where do you see that. It could be a enngineer requirement and nothing else.

TIA/EIA-569: ?No section of conduit shall be longer than 30m (100ft) or contain more than two 90 degree bends between pull points or pull boxes."

I believe the section is 4.4.2.1. I've never been on a job that required this to be followed.

cycotcskir

TIA/EIA-569: ?No section of conduit shall be longer than 30m (100ft) or contain more than two 90 degree bends between pull points or pull boxes."

I believe the section is 4.4.2.1. I've never been on a job that required this to be followed.

Come on over here! We require it.

In addition to this some manufacturers guidelines, such as Superior-Essex, state to follow Table 1 Chapter 9 (40%) with a 15% reduction for every 90% bend. View attachment 3887

JFletcher

In addition to this some manufacturers guidelines, such as Superior-Essex, state to follow Table 1 Chapter 9 (40%) with a 15% reduction for every 90% bend. View attachment 3887

Where is "here"? ;)

I've seen that Superior Essex chart before - it's very handy. afaik, manufacturers guidelines and the more stringent TIA specs re: conduit have to be followed only if one wants the manufacturer's full warranty on the cable (or if it is spelled out in the contract).

Funny that SE references the fill table in Chapter 9 since it doesn't apply to comm cable (800.110).

iwire

Staff member

I agree where is 'here'?

It strikes me odd that the standard NEC requirements work fine for so many areas but not in your area. The only reason I can think of for such a change is to 'make work' because it surely is not to increase the safety of the job.

cycotcskir

I agree where is 'here'?

BWI Airport. Sometimes we are pretty picky around here when it comes to our systems. Some of our design standards go a bit over code, but usually regarding labeling and such. As we all know, the code is bare bones minimum.

We are adopting NEMA 1, we require trenches to be 3', we are requiring supports on conduit 90's within 3' (no free-floating 90's), labeling every 25' in drop ceilings and within 5' of any wall or floor penetration. There are others, but these are some commonly seen differences.

These design standards are specific to all property owned by the MAA (which is a state agency), so they are AHJ requirements along with being a kind of "spec".

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Not required but good habit

Not required but good habit

Most places I've worked have followed the 100 foot practice and I do at least that, sometimes 50 feet or 30. I have worked for many customers that I know will want something else next week, regardless of what they say today. A box somewhere close helps me a lot. Sometimes I put a box wherever I pass another office or conference room, whatever my instincts tell me.

Also, it's not unusual to be on a job and a 100 foot fishtape is the longest one anyone has. The new 200 footer was just lifted by the guy who quit yesterday or it was his to start with. The vacuum cleaner is on another jobsite. I've also been forced to use 50 or 100 foot lengths of wire for runs to use up pieces of spools when the job is out of $ and we can't buy another roll or 2.

As much as possible, keep your conduits in line across the box. That allows you to pull straight through and simplifies future tracking.

good electricians do put a pull point every 100' and we all know why. Now out here in AZ land of non licensing and $60 tool kits why make every one who buys one an electrician. They don't have a clue what J boxes are or (off the top of my head 358.26? no more that 360 deg of bends in a run of conduit before a j box, pull point).
I constantly count 600+deg in bends for my FA runs. Just yesterday 4 90deg, 1 4 point sadle, 2 offsets both 30deg, and 2 kicks in a run about 125' long.

Electricians says, I'll blow a string in it for you. HELLO not the answer but thats what is going to happen. "But dude its EMT" oh he says "I'll blow a string through it"

I have come behind 3 large electrical contractors here and all the same. The smallest one I worked for was awesome.

Questions for you guys here are abbrev., what do they stand for

FACP?
FAJB?
FAAP?
NACPS?

nez

FACP fire alarm control panel
FAJB fire alarm junction box?
FAAP fire alarm annunciator panel
NACPS Notification appliance control panel

We run feeders sometimes as long as 900 feet between pull boxes. The strictest spec we ever encountered was a pull box every 180 degrees or 200 feet in 4" emt for interduct for fiber.

Status
Not open for further replies.