Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the NMB wiring method. Did one with 50A and 6/3 NM out through soffit block into PVC sleeve down to disconnect.
    680.21(A)(4) seems most relevant since the installation is supposed to comply with parts I and II and that statement is mirrored in 680.42 again, it seems that its OK.
    As for the #6 on a 60A breaker..:-????The book says you can go to the next higher OCPD I would personally install a #4, because the code is a minimum requirement. My opinion.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that is a panel ,..at least they advertise it as such,.and that would make for a feeder and a feeder would make for pipe.
      "America will never be destroyed from the outside.
      If we falter and lose our freedoms,
      it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Comment

It appears we have two threads on the same subject. Would someone join them together. Here is the other thread with more post.
        They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
        She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
        I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by George Newman Jr. View Post
          It does not matter whether the hot tube is inside or outside
          It certainly does if it is a SFR which the OP stated it is.
          "If you always do what is right to others you can't go wrong"

The more I learn, the more I realize just how much I don't know.

Always consult your local code enforcement department for direction. Read at your own risk

Comment

Branch Circuit. The circuit conductors between the final overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).
            If the disco is an OCPD then that is where the branch circuit begins and the between the panel and the disco is a feeder. If you put a non-fused disco in place then you need an insulated conductor from the OCPD in the panel as the branch circuit now starts in the panel and not the disco.
            "If you always do what is right to others you can't go wrong"

The more I learn, the more I realize just how much I don't know.

Always consult your local code enforcement department for direction. Read at your own risk

Comment

We do all hot tub installs with gfi breaker at main or sub, run conduit and pull thhn to a pullout disco within 10 ft of tub and use liquidtite fnc to tub. All tubs i've installed require fullsize ground. All inspectors in my area like it installed this way. They would fail it with romex.

Comment

I have merged the two threads from the same OP asking the same question.

Comment

Background information

There are a number of confusing issues regarding hot tub installations.

Here are some issues:

Equipment grounding conductor: bare or coverd? Why should it make a difference whether covered or not depending on whether it is a feeder or branch circuit conductor?

Size of conductors: I just installed a 50 amp hot tub that the manufacturer required four #6 wires from panel to tub. Why did this tub require a #6 egc? Why on earth did it require a #6 neutral? I assume the neutral only carried the unbalanced load. There is nothing on the tub that could have required a wire that size!

Does anyone know the theory behind these requirements? Knowing the theory would help us understand the requirements!

Comment

You can argue the need for the insulated equipment ground, you can argue if there is a need to oversize and equipment ground. But both are to create what is commonly referred to as an ensured ground fault path. The same as any equipment grounding system does.

Any time you insulated a conductor you are preventing an unintentional contact with that conductor.

When you oversize an equipment ground you are lowering the effects that heat and the overall resistance of the conductor.

It’s that whole concept of doing something extra when the body’s resistance is brought to its lowest values. (soaked in un-pure water)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                        Can't the second breaker be considered "supplemental" OCP, and allow the entire circuit to be a BC?
                        That's how I feel about it. In fact, if an inspector gave me a hard time about it, I'd move the GFCI Breaker to the main panel and put a 70 in the disco.

Comment

Originally posted by fishin' electrician View Post
                          That's how I feel about it. In fact, if an inspector gave me a hard time about it, I'd move the GFCI Breaker to the main panel and put a 70 in the disco.
                          How would that change things? I believe you would need a fuseless disco.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
                            How would that change things? I believe you would need a fuseless disco.
                            How can a 70 be the final overcurrent device when there's a 60 ahead of it?

Comment

Originally posted by fishin' electrician View Post
                              How can a 70 be the final overcurrent device when there's a 60 ahead of it?
                              It is an overcurrent device, is it not? I don't think the code addresses what you are trying to do but I may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
                                It is an overcurrent device, is it not? I don't think the code addresses what you are trying to do but I may be wrong.
                                I don't see how it can be the final OCD when it's not even suitable protection for the conductors. Just how I see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X