Equipotential bonding and a hot tub....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

As this section of the code is worded now this is what I see;

(1) All metal fittings within or attached to the spa or hot tub structure

680.26 does not have a pool structure

(2) Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the spa or hot tub water circulating system, including pump motors

680.26(B)(6) makes a statement about double insulated motors and how to handle the #8 that is not covered in 680.43

(3) Metal raceway and metal piping that are within 1.5 m (5 ft) of the inside walls of the spa or hot tub and that are not separated from the spa or hot tub by a permanent barrier
(4) All metal surfaces that are within 1.5 m (5 ft) of the inside walls of the spa or hot tub and that are not separated from the spa or hot tub area by a permanent barrier

680.26(B)(7) includes metal that is greater than 12 vertically above the water but 689.43(D) address 5 feet in any direction.

(5) Electrical devices and controls that are not associated with the spas or hot tubs and that are located not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from such units; otherwise, they shall be bonded to the spa or hot tub system

680.26(B)(7) exception 2 states 5 feet horizontally but 680.43(D)(5) states within five feet meaning in any direction.

I would say that as outlined above that 680.43(D) modifies 680.26 but I can?t see where it relives the rest of the requirements outlined in that section.
I also see in the body of the text of 680.43 is to comply with Parts I & II making anything outlined there and not modified by 680.43 a requirement including the perimeter surface.

M. D.

This was a good thread on this subject and worth reading in my opinion.

also the link I posted in that thread does not work any longer it should have taken you to the Rocky Mountain Chapter IAEI.

romeo

This was a good thread on this subject and worth reading in my opinion.

also the link I posted in that thread does not work any longer it should have taken you to the Rocky Mountain Chapter IAEI.

Thank you,M.D.

I asked the original question in that thread, on this subject. I also asked if anyone could tell me what the difference is between a hot tub mounted on a concrete slab outdoors and one mounted on a concrete floor in a basement.

Imo they are both subject to the same conditions.Other than the basement floor may or may not have a vapor barrier.

No one responded to that question.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Romeo, My opinion is that most everyone probably agrees with you that either installation poses a similar hazard. That said, most everyone I work with feels the Code is written in such a way that 680.26 does not apply to indoor hot tubs.
Why most field personnel look at it differently from the CMP is the million dollar question. Perhaps we have not been as much an influence as the hot tub manufacturers association.

M. D.

Thank you,M.D.

I asked the original question in that thread, on this subject. I also asked if anyone could tell me what the difference is between a hot tub mounted on a concrete slab outdoors and one mounted on a concrete floor in a basement.

Imo they are both subject to the same conditions.Other than the basement floor may or may not have a vapor barrier.

No one responded to that question.

I'd add storable pool to the what is the difference question

jwjrw

When I read the code I cant help but to think they intended to mean hottubs that set on the ground and concrete, pavers etc. Even the wording of the perimeter speaks of surfaces and concrete. Im sure you could probably get a voltage raidaint off a damp deck. But I think of wood more as an insulator than a conductor. My wife tells me every day im wrong and it may be the case here also. Just my opinion which counts for beans....

One-eyed Jack

Did anyone catch my thread where our states ins comm and the ahj where I live made we do a grid on a deck 10 ft off the ground? I told them both the code clearly states if on ground or concrete. They argued it was for voltage potential between tub and deck. I had to get an inspection so I did it but I thimk they were wrong.

Was the deck concrete? If it was concrete on the deck and isolated from the ground how was the concrete connected to grd. to create the potential? I agree with you.

jwjrw

That is my point its on a deck off the ground on wood. I understand about the voltage raidiant but to me they are talking about a hottub on a surface that can be bonded. I dont think you can bond wood. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.