Arc Fault breakers and remodel work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

Seems like the last few remodels we have done we have ran into multiple neutral circuits tied together in ceiling boxes. On an arc fault that just won't work. Ive had to be creative in some of my solutions. I hate arc faults for mainly two reasons. 1) they have a tendency to cover neutral bars and make panel crowded. In some you can only install them in certain spots and still be able to work around them.2) If the person who did the wiring before you didn't keep his neutrals straight it can cost you time and money. Maybe they do save lives God I hope so! I hate them either way LOL!

stevenje

When I first started to use the arc fault breakers (CH BR style) I had problems with them nueasence tripping if they were installed side by side in the panel box. I talked to our inspector to see if this was an ongoing problem that he ran across and he said that he had a few other EC's with the same problem. He suggested that I separate the Arc Fault breakers in the panel and this seemed to clear up the problem. I am not sure what caused this problem but moving them apart from each other sure fixed it. Just a little info that might help out if needed.

We are really lucky to have the inspector that we do. He always makes time to answer any questions that you might have and if you run across a questionable part of a job you can request a "courtesy inspection". He will then come out to the job site and do a walk though with you just to make sure that everybody is on the same page. Talk about taking the guess work out of the equation!

When the 2008 Code can out, he put together a 2008 Code change class on a Saturday complete with a free lunch catered by one of the supply companies for absolutly no cost. Everybody was welcome. All you had to do was to sign up. There is nothing like hearing the new code changes from the person that is going to inspect your job. The eight hour class was also certified to count towards the continuing education classes that our state requires to keep you license current.

Some inspectors are good and some are bad. But this one is great!

jwjrw

Good luck trying to keep them apart with almost everything that is required to be arc fault in 08. I have found that nicked wires too close together in the boxes can cause trip probs.Our inspectors aren't that nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.