romex subject to physical damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

Where in the code does it address the height at which physical damage requirement does not apply. I have always protected up tp a height of 8 feet but cannot locate the code reference which allows romex to be run above that height without protection. Anyone have some input on this?

jwjrw

300.4 says where subject to physical damage conductors shall be protected. I can't remember a height exception.

jwjrw

when you say above 8ft what exactly do you mean? I cant think of a situation where 8ft would keep me from protecting it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The term "subject to physical damage" is a very subjective term and is not defined in the NEC. You really need to talk to the local inspector about what that term means. Until the code provides some guidance, it will remain my opinion, that if it is visible, it is subject to physical damage.

stew

The ispectors in this area will accept unprotected romex as long as it is above the 8 ft threshold. For instance in a garage with 10 ft ceilings that has romex stapled to the headers above the garage doors above the 8 ft level surface run.Or for another example a surface mounted panel with romex emerging they will allow pvc or emt sleeves up to an 8 ft level and then let you surface run after you get to 8 ft.

stew

apparently don we have over the years all convinced the inspectors in this area that 8 ft is in the unwritten code. Hey if they can cite unwritten references once in a while I guess we can to as long as they agree!!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I never understood the 8' rule when in fact the code does give us an inkling about protection in 334.15(B) where it only requires protection to 6"

334.15(B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or other approved means. Where passing through a floor, the cable shall be enclosed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or other approved means extending at least 150 mm (6 in.) above the floor.

jwjrw

Using pvc to sleeve is allowed. I see it as if you could hang a clothes hanger etc on it it must be protected.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The idea may go back to 300.5 where one of the methods of 'protecting cables from physical damage" is protect them "by enclosures to a point 8 ft above finished grade"

jwjrw

Here even if its ran thru holes in studs you will cover it with a 2x4 or guard if no sheetrock is going up.

jwjrw

But that only applys to outside installations I believe. Still they could get the 8ft from there I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.