Big oops ... need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Big oops ... need suggestions

If the CMP wanted all branch circuits that pass through a bedroom to have AFCI protection they would have just said so. Instead they said only branch circuits that supply outlets in the bedroom.

It is not too great of a leap of logic to suggest that they were only concerned about branch circuits that supplied devices using power that were physically in the bedroom. Since the switch controls a device that is not in the bedroom, it seems likely they did not intend for it to necessarily be on an AFCI.

This brings up a nasty thought. Since it seems the current AFCI devices only protect the branch circuits, why would you not want afci protection on branch circuits that pass through but don't stop in a bedroom??? Following this train of thought leads one to believe that they felt that it was safe to pass through a bedroom with a branch circuit without requiring afci protection, but if you had to terminate inside a bedroom it needed AFCI protection.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Big oops ... need suggestions

The time has come to close this thread. I would like to thank everyone who participated in the discussion. I would also like to congratulate you all for keeping the tone professional, the content "mostly" technical, and the humor within the tolerance limits of polite society.

For the record, I am closing this thread at 781 total posts. The members who had the highest numbers of posts are as follows (these are approximate numbers):</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Al Hildebrand, 224 posts,</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Charlie B., 109 posts ,</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">jwelectric, 85 posts,</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LarryFine, 66 posts,</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">marc deschenes, 48 posts,</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">allenwayne, 38 posts,</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">jeff43222, 31 posts, including the one that started this thread,</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">iwire, 31 posts,</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">electric_instructor, 28 posts,</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">peter d, 25 posts,</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">roger, 24 posts,</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">don_resqcapt19, 15 posts, and</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">electricmanscott, 11 posts</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Additional contributors included sparky_magoo, sandsnow, busman, realboss, pierre, magoo66, hbliss, mark32, ronaldrc, JES2727, macmikeman, j_erickson, ryan_618, dillon3c, steve66, paul, aelectricalman, tkirk911, and petersonra. Please forgive me if I left anyone out.

Let's do this again sometime. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.