Junction boxes and can lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABzzzt

Hi,

I recently helped a friend install some can lights at his house and it got me to wondering about the requirement that junction boxes be accessible. These lights had a box on the side of the can where the electrical connections were made. The lights were installed between the first and second floor, so once the drywall is installed, this box is not accessible.

My question is, why is this allowed by code (his addition has already passed inspection)?

Thanks!

JAB

Jljohnson

The junction box can not be accessed by removing the can housing? Most that I have seen have 2-3 screws that hold the lamp housing in place, remove these and you have access to the j-box.

raider1

Staff member
The junction box can not be accessed by removing the can housing? Most that I have seen have 2-3 screws that hold the lamp housing in place, remove these and you have access to the j-box.

Agreed, I am not aware of any listed recessed can that has a J-box that is not accessible by removing the lamp housing by removing a few screws and pulling the can portion out of the ceiling to access the J-box.

There are also remodel can where the entire luminaire is removeable.

Chris

JABzzzt

I can check again, but I didn't see any way to access the junction box through the can. There was a cover on the box, and that was removed to make the connections. But the box (along with its cover) were on the outside of the can and inaccessible when covered with drywall.

I think I see what you are talking about, now that I looked at it again. As you mentioned, it looks as if the can is held in place by a couple of screws. The flexible conduit should allow the can to be removed to access the junction box. I missed this because during installation, you can access the wiring through the other side of the box.

Thanks for your replies!

JAB

480sparky

The jboxes are accessible from both sides. You remove 3-4 screws in the can, push it up, and access the jbox through the opening.

Jboxaccess.jpg

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Its great fun getting into back into the box of 3" and 4" cans. Changing ballasts on 5" cans is also a challenge.

Split Bolt

Yeah, I've always loved changing transformers in new work cans! I'm going to go off track for a sec. If you are a Lightolier user, they now have LV cans that have electronic rather than magnetic transformers!

Status
Not open for further replies.