Free PDF version of the 2011 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

timlahr

2011 PDF Version of NEC

2011 PDF Version of NEC

I purchased a spiral version of the 2011 NEC and it has the yellow sticker offering the free PDF version of the 2011 NEC. So I go to look at the back cover for the insert with the promotion code and instructions for download....nothing there! I was at a continuing education class and everyone with the soft cover version had the insert but no one with the spiral version did. I emailed the NFPA about it and they said they didn't sell a spiral version ! So I went to the NFPA's web site and sure enough they only sell a 3 ring binder version of the code( as a loose leaf version).
So......the MEA (Minnesota Electrical Association), where I purchased it, must purchase the pages from the NFPA and then inserts a spiral on the pages. It has all the identical pages...inside back and front cover advertising and everything. I wonder if I will be able to get the free download some how?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I bought the 2008 awhile back, and every week or so it would freak out and do this.

Now, I've downloaded the 2011 about... a month ago? It opened several times just fine, and then this morning it freaked out.

In the past, I had to keep calling or writing NFPA, and they would allow me to throw my old one in the trash and re-download it. After three miscues on the '08 I got my money back. It looks as though the FileOpen DRM crud they smear on it still doesn't work right. :roll:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have to laugh at all you guys who camp out in front of the supply house waiting for it to open and sell you a 2011 code book. It's all well and good to become familiar with the changes but where has it been adopted into use? I think most have at least until 2014 to get a copy and read through it. Even then there will be a lot of jurisdictions one or two cycles behind and learning anything other than what you are using can lead to confusion. I wouldn't even bother with the '11 unless I knew it was going to be adopted soon where I'm working.

-Hal

Last edited:

elohr46

My 2011 NEC arrived monday by mail from the IAEI(free to all IAEI members), it has the yellow sticker for the free PFD file. I did download it, seems to work OK but I could not cut and paste, maybe I'm not doing that function correctly.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think most have at least until 2014 to get a copy and read through it.
Most of us actually aren't in NY. Your state has a reputation for being slow to adopt new codes, it's not that way in much of the country. Here in Colorado, I will be tested on the 2011 code in July of 2011.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
My 2011 NEC arrived monday by mail from the IAEI(free to all IAEI members), it has the yellow sticker for the free PFD file. I did download it, seems to work OK but I could not cut and paste, maybe I'm not doing that function correctly.

is IAEI giving away free NEC 2011??

romeo

Free PDF version of the 2011 NEC

I have to laugh at all you guys who camp out in front of the supply house waiting for it to open and sell you a 2011 code book. It's all well and good to become familiar with the changes but where has it been adopted into use? I think most have at least until 2014 to get a copy and read through it. Even then there will be a lot of jurisdictions one or two cycles behind and learning anything other than what you are using can lead to confusion. I wouldn't even bother with the '11 unless I knew it was going to be adopted soon where I'm working.

-Hal

I Start using the 2011 here in Massachusetts Jan 1 I already have the handbook and the soft cover I got free for registering to necplus.

Status
Not open for further replies.