Wall Mount/ baseboard heater Code question

Status
Not open for further replies.

organick

I am remodeling a laundry room and it needs a heater added. Very small room. Was thinking probably a 500 watt. Does it need a dedicated circuit? I have a 20 amp GFCI circuit with 3 outlets on it and that could be dropped to 2 if necessary. Can I use that?

Does the heater need to be thermostatically controlled?

Many thanks

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Check out Article 424 for the requirements for baseboard heaters. Specifically see Part III.

Also you want to look at 210.11(C)(2) for the required laundry circuit.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you do not have a T-stat the heater will run continuously. Also, all baseboard heaters I have used were 240V.

raider1

Staff member
If you do not have a T-stat the heater will run continuously. Also, all baseboard heaters I have used were 240V.

I agree with the idea that you need a T-stat or the heater will run continuously. I have installed 120 volt baseboard heaters that included a factory installed T-stat.

Chris

organick

Thanks guys. I have been looking at a bunch of 120v heaters.

I appreciate the code reference but can someone just tell me if it needs a dedicated circuit. i don't have a code book with me.

Thanks

Buck Parrish

In some commercial bathrooms we will not use a thermostat.
We install a single pole switch above it. If it gets hot enough they can turn it off.
I recommend a timer, but thats on them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We install a single pole switch above it. If it gets hot enough they can turn it off.
I recommend a timer, but thats on them.

I think that's a real bad idea. Too easy for someone to forget and leave it on all night. Waste of energy. A wall stat doesn't cost but $20.00 or so.

iwire

Staff member

I think that's a real bad idea.

I agree.

Why not it is part of the laundry room

Are you planing to plug it is?

500 watts seems too small to even begin to heat a room. Just how small is it

I agree, we would only use a 500 in a very small bathroom or something like that.

organick

210.11(C)(2)

(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number
of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at
least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided
to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by
210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

So that reads that in addition to the circuit for the washer?? is that right. SO I have a dedicated circuit for outlets in addition and that cant have anything else?? Mine currently has one outlet on the outside of the room and 2 inside and that was permitted and inspected.

Just trying to make sure I am reading that right.?

Jim the room is like 90 sq ft and it does really need to even been livable just warm.

Jim W in Tampa

210.11(C)(2)

(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number
of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at
least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided
to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by
210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

OK your right, i was thinking it only said laundry outlets.

raider1

Staff member
So that reads that in addition to the circuit for the washer?? is that right. SO I have a dedicated circuit for outlets in addition and that cant have anything else?? Mine currently has one outlet on the outside of the room and 2 inside and that was permitted and inspected.

Jim the room is like 90 sq ft and it does really need to even been livable just warm.

Is there already a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the washing machine?

If there is and you are wanting to come off an additional circuit that would be OK.

In your original post you did not indicated that there was more than 1 circuit for the laundry.

Chris

jumper

The way I read it, that other rec. would be a technical violation, but really minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.