romex in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive ran a few circuits in the past to garages and instead of running single conductors i just pulled romex through the pvc i couldnt find in the code if this is allowed i see it alot as well...one guy told me you should take the outer shething off when you put nm in conduit... from now on ill pull stranded conductors through just wanted to no the code on it.....also can you put mc in emt ?

raider1

Staff member
Cables (Including MC cable) are permitted to be installed inside of a raceway, provided that they meet the conduit fill requirements for the type of raceway being used.

Keep in mind that 300.9 states that the interior of raceways above ground in wet locations is also a wet location so the cable installed within the raceway must be listed for use in a wet location. So NM cable can't be installed in a raceway outdoors or underground.

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You can not remove the conductors from NM and use them as single conductors, see 310.11

Roger

gndrod

Cables (Including MC cable) are permitted to be installed inside of a raceway, provided that they meet the conduit fill requirements for the type of raceway being used.

Keep in mind that 300.9 states that the interior of raceways above ground in wet locations is also a wet location so the cable installed within the raceway must be listed for use in a wet location. So NM cable can't be installed in a raceway outdoors or underground.

Chris

Is there a possibility that 300.9 may have omitted mentioning outdoor dry locations? (I.e. Under cover or sheltered locations.)

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
334.30 is the strain relief call by staple.
thanks!

nothing in there about not being able to pull out a single conductor?
I remember you couldnt bundle thhn conductors together , hold them together w tape to make it easier to pull, because that would be non compliant

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-06 15.12.19.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-06 15.12.19.png
    25 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
oh, its actually allowed‼️?but it looks like a duck, it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck... it must be allowed!??!
Yes it is allowed as the article section states

Roger

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
ok, I'll let it go, but that means
you can tape wires together to make them easier to pull, they don't get bunched and knotted up,

because being able to pull a single conductor out

is not a requirement??

thanks Roger!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
ok, I'll let it go, but that means
you can tape wires together to make them easier to pull, they don't get bunched and knotted up,

because being able to pull a single conductor out

is not a requirement??

thanks Roger!

Correct, there is nothing in the NEC that requires being able to remove a single conductor from a raceway.

You're welcome

Roger

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
but you cant tape up romexes together because they will build up heat, like pulling them thru truss knockouts three at a time

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
How many cables are you planning on installing in a conduit? It doesn't matter if you tape them together or not, the adjustment factors in 310.15 have you covered.

Roger

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor

Attachments

• 22C2AD5C-0FDD-474C-84E3-FC136CB4D477.jpeg
    22C2AD5C-0FDD-474C-84E3-FC136CB4D477.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 22C2AD5C-0FDD-474C-84E3-FC136CB4D477.jpeg
    22C2AD5C-0FDD-474C-84E3-FC136CB4D477.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well it came up again with an inspector. He has a panel replacement where they brought all the old cables back in thru a blue grommet. Not even a chase nipple. The cables are stapled within 12 inches. How to calculate the conductor fill for
1 a grommet and
2 nmc because the sheath takes up volume.
is it a nipple?
and all these years I have struggled to get the old cables back into a loom connector,
so you don’t need a connector and the only ding can be conductor fill of a grommet?

You cannot use a grommet. You need to have a connector for each cable or a connector listed for multiple cables.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Oh, I thought 334.30 gives you strain relief call by staple, that lets them put the Rolex in emt and then into a panel.

Is there a different code reference that requires the Romex into the panel to have strain relief?
or is it the fill?

Attachments

• C5F5D38B-7584-4A61-B40D-C6C45E790941.png
    C5F5D38B-7584-4A61-B40D-C6C45E790941.png
    25 KB · Views: 0

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor

Attachments

• elec-wire-resid--17_4-21.jpg
    elec-wire-resid--17_4-21.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 2