This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoldDigger View Post
    A fireplace can generate CO2 also, as can a smouldering upholstery or carpet fire

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Those events will trigger a standard smoke.
    In Illinois, CO alarms are only required if the home is supplied with nat gas or has an attached garage.

Comment

Originally posted by retirede View Post
      Those events will trigger a standard smoke.
      In Illinois, CO alarms are only required if the home is supplied with nat gas or has an attached garage.
      Propane as well even if it’s just for those look nice fireplaces.
      Tom
      TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
        Propane as well even if it’s just for those look nice fireplaces.
        Yeah, I said “nat gas”, but they’re required with LP also...

Comment

Originally posted by hhsting View Post
          I have combo smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector hard wired. Not sure how they do it but I would imagine their is no switch at the detector dewelling unit.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
          Attached Files
          Last edited by hhsting; 07-14-19, 10:23 PM.

Comment

I am just struggling with this might as well tell the story. Their was a job that I was doing brand new apartment complex almost height of high rise dewelling units brand new smoke detectors and inspector did not say anything and it was not on AFCI. Inspector said you never put smoke detector on AFCI. I looked all over for reason and IRC allows some household to have smoke detector fire alarm system but I am not sure if this job was one of them. I am not trying to troll but given the information on this and other threads it just looks odd and wanted your straight forward opinon thats all being that many dewelling units smoke detectors in height almost high rise. I noted the model number Universal Security part MIC1509S spec attached in Post #34 attachment. Is the inspector correct that it does not need AFCI? Thanks.

Comment

I am just struggling with this might as well tell the story. Their was a job that I was doing brand new apartment complex almost height of high rise dewelling units brand new smoke detectors and inspector did not say anything and it was not on AFCI. Inspector said you never put smoke detector on AFCI. I looked all over for reason and IRC allows some household to have smoke detector fire alarm system but I am not sure if this job was one of them. I am not trying to troll but given the information on this and other threads it just looks odd and wanted your straight forward opinon thats all being that many dewelling units smoke detectors in height almost high rise. I noted the model number Universal Security part MIC1509S spec attached in Post #34 attachment. Is the inspector correct that it does not need AFCI? Thanks.
              Same answer as elsewhere in this thread, no.
              Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

The inspector is correct. NO AFCI NEEDED.
                Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Inspector said you never put smoke detector on AFCI.
                  Iirc, that is the reason battery BU smokes became mandatory via nfpa

The irony being some states (such as mine) recently allowed for Lith-Ion (battery only) smoke installs

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post
                    Iirc, that is the reason battery BU smokes became mandatory via nfpa

The irony being some states (such as mine) recently allowed for Lith-Ion (battery only) smoke installs

~RJ~
                    IIRC AFCI is a relatively new product vs smokes and smokes have had battery backup for a long time before that.

Existing homes and apartments were allowed to have battery only smokes if they were existing prior to a certain level of remodel. IDR that level. We almost always installed new.

The Lith-Ion and wireless that can work with the existing smokes are a plus.
                    Tom
                    TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
                      The inspector is correct. NO AFCI NEEDED.
                      By the way, I was kidding. When OP doesn't like the answer, he seems to keep asking hoping to get the answer he wants to hear.
                      Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

By the way, I was kidding. When OP doesn't like the answer, he seems to keep asking hoping to get the answer he wants to hear.
                        Thank you for coming back. I was about ready to reread the entire thread to see where that came from.
                        Tom
                        TBLO

Comment

Yes he does and since the question was answered (in another thread as well) we will close this one.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                          X