Arc Fault Breakers for Smoke Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodonnell

I am providing a price to install smoke detectors in 427 residential housing units. Am I required to provide an arch fault breaker for this circuit? The smokes will be the only item on the circuit.

Howard Burger

what code cycle?

what code cycle?

What code cycle are you working with? In the 2005 and 08, you'll need AFCI for smokies in the bedrooms - 201.12.B for '08, 210.12 in '05

Last edited:

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
In the 2005 and 08, you'll need AFCI for smokies in the bedrooms...

Not much experience with the '08 myself, but (in the '08) wouldn't the smokes be required to have AFCI protection in all of the following and not limited to bedrooms?

"family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms,
parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms..."

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Not much experience with the '08 myself, but (in the '08) wouldn't the smokes be required to have AFCI protection in all of the following and not limited to bedrooms?

"family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms,
parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms..."

According to 2008 NEC All outlets installed at above mentioned locations must be AFCI protected.

On a second note, you may ask the AHJ, if you use an existing circuit instead of a dedicated, do you still have to install AFCI protection.

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
On a second note, you may ask the AHJ, if you use an existing circuit instead of a dedicated, do you still have to install AFCI protection.
I think you've nailed it, Edward.

The only real answer for the Opening Post, is for Jodonnell to ask that question of the AHJ for the location of the job.

While the '08 and '11 NECs require AFCI for most of the locations a smoke might be installed, local enforcement may well have amendments to the AFCI rule.

Check with your AHJ.

jimman

Not sure what state your in, but in NC, CO2 detectors are required in rental units. Check with the AHJ, as the difference around here is about $35.00 per detector.

construct

I am providing a price to install smoke detectors in 427 residential housing units. Am I required to provide an arch fault breaker for this circuit? The smokes will be the only item on the circuit.

The others have made good points. If you check with your AHJ, you might ask if the smokes can even be on a dedicated branch circuit.

In my area, we adopt the International Code Council Electrical Code (ICCEC) which are Administrative Provisions. Section 1202.5 states: "Smoke detectors required by the International Building Code and installed within dwelling units shall not be connected as the only load on a branch circuit. Such detectors shall be supplied by branch circuits having lighting loads consisting of lighting outlets in habitable spaces.":roll:

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
According to 2008 NEC All outlets installed at above mentioned locations must be AFCI protected.

Not only the rooms mentioned, but the entire branch circuit must be protected. So if you install interconnected units all on one circuit and have just one unit in a room that would force AFCI use - they all end up having protection because of that one unit. Of course these days nearly all the house requires AFCI anyway, but back when it was just bedrooms, the fact you put some of those "outlets" in the bedroom(s) kicked in AFCI protection for the entire circuit.

Not sure what state your in, but in NC, CO2 detectors are required in rental units. Check with the AHJ, as the difference around here is about $35.00 per detector.
CO2 or CO?

What if there is no gas burning appliances to create any CO?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I am in heated debate with designer. I have dewelling units where smoke detectors are installed living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms and designer is saying its bad idea to place AFCI on smoke detector 120V branch circuit. I asked AHJ supervisor electrical who is been their for 30 years plan review and he says its bad idea to put AFCI on smoke detector branch circuit dewelling unit 120V but there are no local ordiances for prohibiting it. He pointed to life and safety devices should never be put on sensitive circuit breaker such as AFCI. I am just really confused at this point. Which one is it?

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I am in heated debate with designer. I have dewelling units where smoke detectors are installed living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms and designer is saying its bad idea to place AFCI on smoke detector 120V branch circuit. I asked AHJ supervisor electrical who is been their for 30 years plan review and he says its bad idea to put AFCI on smoke detector branch circuit dewelling unit 120V but there are no local ordiances for prohibiting it. He pointed to life and safety devices should never be put on sensitive circuit breaker such as AFCI. I am just really confused at this point. Which one is it?

Bad idea or not, NEC has always made it pretty clear that any "outlet" installed in whatever rooms are mentioned (which varies depending on which NEC cycle it was) needs AFCI protection for the entire branch circuit. A typical "smoke alarm" is an "outlet". More recently wording was changed to not only include "outlets" but any devices in mentioned rooms. So even if you don't think a smoke alarm is an "outlet" it still is covered by this more recent change.

Exceptions from AFCI protection for "fire alarms" are for an art 760 fire alarm system. A typical smoke alarm you find in dwellings is not something covered in art 760.

A 760 fire alarm system may have (probably will in most cases) "smoke detectors" but they are not the same thing or classification as typical line volt "smoke alarms".

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
If I’m not mistaken, as of recent all smoke detectors now have battery back-up so if they are placed on a sensitive circuit, or a circuit which is the cause of fire, or during a power failure protection is still active. I have had no issues with smoke detectors on afci breakers.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
If I’m not mistaken, as of recent all smoke detectors now have battery back-up so if they are placed on a sensitive circuit, or a circuit which is the cause of fire, or during a power failure protection is still active. I have had no issues with smoke detectors on afci breakers.
I cannot remember residential style smokes not having batteries. It is a non issue, AFCI, GFCI, or neither.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
The others have made good points. If you check with your AHJ, you might ask if the smokes can even be on a dedicated branch circuit.

In my area, we adopt the International Code Council Electrical Code (ICCEC) which are Administrative Provisions. Section 1202.5 states: "Smoke detectors required by the International Building Code and installed within dwelling units shall not be connected as the only load on a branch circuit. Such detectors shall be supplied by branch circuits having lighting loads consisting of lighting outlets in habitable spaces.":roll:

I was unaware of this code but a former boss taught me to always put smokes together with lights. Lights out is the most noticeable red flag in most houses, so they get checked out quicker & smokes get the benefit.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

IIRC, they have battery BU because of an nfpa directive created for sensitive circuitry......~RJ~

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Well what I have is combination smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector all in one 120V single phase in dewelling living room, bedrooms. Do these have to be on AFCI?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok well are dewelling unit 120V single phase 20A combination smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector required to be on battery backup?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
No such thing as a single phase 20A smoke detector! And yes, all smoke detectors and combination smoke detectors are required to have an internal backup battery.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well what I have is combination smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector all in one 120V single phase in dwelling living room, bedrooms. Do these have to be on AFCI?

All outlets in those areas require AFCI protection. The smoke ALARM is connected to an outlet so AFCI protection is required. Just for clarity it's a smoke alarm not a smoke detector.

Status
Not open for further replies.