Ground Screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Loyd

Is it legal to use green gounding screw for other uses like panel deadfront cover or the like that need a 10-32 screw type?

iwire

Staff member
Is it legal to use green gounding screw for other uses like panel deadfront cover or the like that need a 10-32 screw type?

Well, grounding screws are not 'listed' so 110.3(B) does not apply to the screws.

I am sure some will say that the panels cabinet and cover are listed so 110.3(B) would require the use of the factory screws.

In my opinion it is fine but who knows what an inspector might think.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would not use a green ground screw just because it looks hideous and you may also need a washer to boot. Go to Home Depot and get a screw that will match the originals to some degree. But to answer your question- I would see no problem but I am not the inspector as Bob mentioned.

brian john

When we do IR?s we often need 100?s of 10/32?s in a week, nothing simpler and as readily available then a ground screw.

The hex head simplifies dead front removal the next go round.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
With the push for things to go green, (and I agree with this movement) I think it's a great idea to use green screws for everything and would challenge an inspector that didn't like it. :grin:

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What kind of panels is the OP referring to? All of our commercial panels use 1/4" truss head screws. I've also wondered if using a different screw would affect the listing.

phpThumb.php

Last edited:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
There was a great thread/poll about what to use for panel covers. I think it was started by iwire, but I can not find it through his profile, nor the search tool, nor Google.

jumper

I am not convinced that 250.8 applies to a panel cover / cabinet attachment.

Then what does this section mean? It seems to say the proper screws can bond the cover.

250.102 Bonding Conductors and Jumpers.
(A) Material. Bonding jumpers shall be of copper or other
corrosion-resistant material. A bonding jumper shall be a
wire, bus, screw, or similar suitable conductor.
(B) Attachment. Bonding jumpers shall be attached in the
manner specified by the applicable provisions of 250.8
for circuits and equipment and by 250.70 for grounding
electrodes.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am not convinced that 250.8 applies to a panel cover / cabinet attachment.
It clearly does not cover the cover...just agitating a bit. I don't think the NEC really covers the bonding of the cover. That should be in the product standars.

Status
Not open for further replies.