GFCI receptacle for an ice machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Is a GFCI protected receptacle required for an ice machine? If so, where can I find this in the Code?

Thanks for all replies.

Yes depending on where is is located, if it is code and plug connected and if it is 120 volt 15 or 20 amp.

See 210.8(B).

iwire

Staff member
Nothing in 210.8(B) says 'ice machines' it lists locations.

So if that ice machine is 15 or 20 amps 125 volts, connected via a cord & plug, located in a commercial kitchen (or any of the other listed locations) it must be GFCI protected

ceb58

Meant to add this is not a dwelling unit...

OK, not a dwelling unit then what is it? Indoors or out? Location. In a kitchen or a room by its self? More info needed to go along with what Bob has posted below.

Nothing in 210.8(B) says 'ice machines' it lists locations.

So if that ice machine is 15 or 20 amps 125 volts, connected via a cord & plug, located in a commercial kitchen (or any of the other listed locations) it must be GFCI protected

It is in an alcove in a Cafe in the new Boeing plant here in North Charleston. I agree that GFCI is needed after re-reading 210.8(B). Plus the AHJ wants it which over rides any interpretation of the Code.

Thanks for all your replies.

John120/240

It is in an alcove in a Cafe in the new Boeing plant here in North Charleston. I agree that GFCI is needed after re-reading 210.8(B). Plus the AHJ wants it which over rides any interpretation of the Code.

Thanks for all your replies.

Is it written in black & white what the AHJ requires ? When nothing is in writing,

it becomes the AHJ's opinion which he just pulled out of his ... Tell the AHJ to

pound sand.

ceb58

Is it written in black & white what the AHJ requires ? When nothing is in writing,

it becomes the AHJ's opinion which he just pulled out of his ... Tell the AHJ to

pound sand.

Agreed. Read the definition of kitchen in art. 100. If the machine is not located in the "kitchen" and it is not shown to be GFCI'ed by the plans. Then it is just an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.