Transformer Clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdktoys

I have a 480 primary, 208/120 volt secondary dry type transformer hanging on the wall of an electrical room.
The contractor installed this transformer with less than 36 inches of clearance in front of the transformer. From what I can tell from the NEC, Dedicated Equipment space only includes switchboards, panelboards and motor control centers. Working space is indicated for equipment that is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized.. I do not believe that dry type transformers are required for any work or service while energized.
Is this installation of the transformer acdeptable per the NEC with less than 36 inches of clearance?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When I design electrical room layouts, I do not treat transformers as equipment that requires working clearance. You are right about them not requiring "dedicated space." That is intended to allow the future installation of additional conduits, and transformers are unlikely to require such additions.

bdktoys

bdktoys

bdktoys

No, there are 2 transformers wall hung in a corner of an electrical room where one transformer is slightly in front of the other.

ron

Since I regularly have transformer temrinations IR scanned, I always consider the accessible side (usually the front) needing working space because that must be done energized.

renosteinke

Transformers do generate heat, so I will remind all of the need to maintain manufacturer specified clearances. These are usually less than 12".

Status
Not open for further replies.