Receptacle and switch mounting height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receptacle and switch mounting height

I was wondering if there is a standard mounting height for switches and receptacles in califorina residential. all of the work i have done has been commercial and overseas for the navy and our standard mounting heights have always been 18" on center for receptacles and 4' on center for switches. any clarification ya'll could give me would be appreciated.

For residential it is whatever the owner wants unless Ca has an amendment. Generally we install switches at 43" to the bottom of the box from a sub floor and 13" for receptacles.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

I use my Klein hammer handle for plug height and make story pole for switches and over the counter plugs.
      Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose. But still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Comment

I do 18" to top for receptacles (using a template) and 48 5/8" down from 8' ceiling to the top of the switch box, which allows the sheetrocker to cut only the bottom piece of wallboard. (I have a bunch of family that are drywallers)
        ABC

"Eschew Obfuscation!"

Comment

Unless otherwise specified, 15" and 45" on center AFF.
          Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by electricguy61 View Post
            I do 18" to top for receptacles (using a template) and 48 5/8" down from 8' ceiling to the top of the switch box, which allows the sheetrocker to cut only the bottom piece of wallboard. (I have a bunch of family that are drywallers)
            Who cares about the drywall guy?
            "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
              Unless otherwise specified, 15" and 45" on center AFF.
              That's incorrect. There is no standard height for sfd, in multi family and commercial it's "receptacles shall be no lower than 15" measured to the bottom of the box AFF and switches, thermostats, fan controls, etc, shall be no higher than 48" measured to the top of the box AFF."

So at framing be careful with the receptacles, if you put them at 15" above the slab and they come in and float and tile the floor, you will be to low, but your switches will be fine.

Now for me, it's always been 12" and 42" to the center of the box in SFD.
              I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

[COLOR=red]There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.[/COLOR]

John Childress
              Electrical Inspector
              IAEI / CEI / C10
              Certified Electrical Inspector

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyjwc View Post
                That's incorrect. There is no standard height for sfd,in multi family and commercial it's "receptacles shall be no lower than 15" measured to the bottom of the box AFF and switches, thermostats, fan controls, etc, shall be no higher than 48" measured to the top of the box AFF."

So at framing be careful with the receptacles, if you put them at 15" above the slab and they come in and float and tile the floor, you will be to low, but your switches will be fine.

Now for me, it's always been 12" and 42" to the center of the box in SFD.
                I thought that we're discussing residential installation? Yes, my answer was somewhat confusing because I was referring to local installations and not California residential installations as per the OP. When I mentioned the word specified I meant specified by the architect or the homeowner not any particular code.
                Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
                  I thought that we're discussing residential installation? Yes, my answer was somewhat confusing because I was referring to local installations and not California residential installations as per the OP. When I mentioned the word specified I meant specified by the architect or the homeowner not any particular code.
                  Fair enough. There is no standard resi height in CA other than what I stated for multifamily.

That is why we follow the CEC (California Electrical code) and the CBC (California Building Code) We have our own chapeters in these books.
                  I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

[COLOR=red]There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.[/COLOR]

John Childress
                  Electrical Inspector
                  IAEI / CEI / C10
                  Certified Electrical Inspector

Comment

Working...
                  X