Receptacle and switch mounting height

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemicalx

I was wondering if there is a standard mounting height for switches and receptacles in califorina residential. all of the work i have done has been commercial and overseas for the navy and our standard mounting heights have always been 18" on center for receptacles and 4' on center for switches. any clarification ya'll could give me would be appreciated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For residential it is whatever the owner wants unless Ca has an amendment. Generally we install switches at 43" to the bottom of the box from a sub floor and 13" for receptacles.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Unless otherwise specified, 15" and 45" on center AFF.

That's incorrect. There is no standard height for sfd, in multi family and commercial it's "receptacles shall be no lower than 15" measured to the bottom of the box AFF and switches, thermostats, fan controls, etc, shall be no higher than 48" measured to the top of the box AFF."

So at framing be careful with the receptacles, if you put them at 15" above the slab and they come in and float and tile the floor, you will be to low, but your switches will be fine.

Now for me, it's always been 12" and 42" to the center of the box in SFD.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's incorrect. There is no standard height for sfd,in multi family and commercial it's "receptacles shall be no lower than 15" measured to the bottom of the box AFF and switches, thermostats, fan controls, etc, shall be no higher than 48" measured to the top of the box AFF."

So at framing be careful with the receptacles, if you put them at 15" above the slab and they come in and float and tile the floor, you will be to low, but your switches will be fine.

Now for me, it's always been 12" and 42" to the center of the box in SFD.

I thought that we're discussing residential installation? Yes, my answer was somewhat confusing because I was referring to local installations and not California residential installations as per the OP. When I mentioned the word specified I meant specified by the architect or the homeowner not any particular code.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I thought that we're discussing residential installation? Yes, my answer was somewhat confusing because I was referring to local installations and not California residential installations as per the OP. When I mentioned the word specified I meant specified by the architect or the homeowner not any particular code.

Fair enough.:D There is no standard resi height in CA other than what I stated for multifamily.

That is why we follow the CEC (California Electrical code) and the CBC (California Building Code) We have our own chapeters in these books.:weeping:

Status
Not open for further replies.