Neutral Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

OK, I have a 200amp 40 circuit single phase house panelboard with 2-wire 120volt branch circuits entering this main panel with the grounded circuit conductor ( Neutral) being terminated in the 40 circuit panelboards grounded bar for the neutrals of these branch circuits. Then the hot wires extend through to an ajacent seperate 20 circuit sub-panel where they are connected to the 20 or 15 amp single pole breakers.

Is this OK to do? Is there a code violation? These are not multiwire branch circuits...

shortcircuit

shortcircuit2

Thanks Dennis, thats the section I was looking for. I was looking in sections 200 and 250. I have seen this practice many times when a sub-panel has been added for additional circuits.

I'm also looking at this because of the small residential generator back-up equipment being used in the field from company's like gen-tran, reliance and some of the packages from generac, etc. don't relocate the neutrals of the branch circuits from the main panelboard to there transfer equipment. So I'm trying to understand if these are code compliant too?

Maybe its one of those "GRAY AREAS" where the neutral on the branch circuit isn't "being used" at the transfer equipment?

shortcircuit

Status
Not open for further replies.