Box Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
After almost twenty years on the production floor I have returned to school and am working on my associates degree in
Industrial Maintenance. In my Basic Electricity class we were given an take home open book quiz. We are to list the code if it
applies, otherwise we are to list where we got our answer. The question is:
An external Romex connector counts as what size conductor when calculating box fill?
We certainly did enough sample questions in class that I know the answer is....it is not counted. I found the answer in Mike
Holt's Understanding The NEC, but I would like to list the NEC Article as well. I looked in section 314.16 "Box Fill" but could
not find it, am I just missing it ? If not, could someone please point me in the right direction.
Thank You
Sean Holley

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's in 314.16(B)(2).

Welcome to the Forum. :)

314.16(B)(2) Clamp Fill. Where one or more internal cable clamps, whether factory or field supplied, are present in the box, a single volume allowance in accordance with Table 314.16(B) shall be made based on the largest conductor present in the box. No allowance shall be required for a cable connector with its clamping mechanism outside the box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I found the answer in Mike Holt's Understanding The NEC, but I would like to list the NEC Article as well. I looked in section 314.16 "Box Fill" but could not find it, am I just missing it ? If not, could someone please point me in the right direction.

Look at the last sentence in 314.16(B)(2)

Another question

Another question

I'm still working on my take home test and was asked this question:

I have two 12 gauge wires, two 14 gauge wires, entering a box that has a duplex receptacle installed in it with 12 gauge wire as pigtails. What is the minimum size of cu. in. would I need?

Using table 314.16(B) I would calculate for the receptacle using the largest pigtail connected to it....My question is would a duplex receptacle count as four instead of two ?

Sean Holley

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I have two 12 gauge wires, two 14 gauge wires, entering a box that has a duplex receptacle installed in it with 12 gauge wire as pigtails. What is the minimum size of cu. in. would I need?

Using table 314.16(B) I would calculate for the receptacle using the largest pigtail connected to it....My question is would a duplex receptacle count as four instead of two ?

Sean Holley

No the duplex receptacles counts as one yoke which translates to counting as two conductors of the size attached to it. So what did you come up with?

jumper

???? #12 on #14 ?? 15 amp breaker??

No.

Question: what is your definition of a duplex? 2 receptacles on 1 strap or or 2 duplex in a box, 2 straps(quad).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
???? #12 on #14 ?? 15 amp breaker??

Since this is a practice test question I wouldn't try to read too much real world philosophy into it. Quite often test questions and what we do in the field don't really fit together well. :D

Thanks

Thanks

No the duplex receptacles counts as one yoke which translates to counting as two conductors of the size attached to it. So what did you come up with?

First thanks....that was one I never asked about in class....didn't really think about it until I was taking this test and I didn't see anything in the code book....but then I am a newbie to the code. I came up with:

2 # 12 2 x 2.25 = 4.50
2 # 14 2 x 2.00 = 4.00
2 pigtails not counted
receptacle 2 x 2.25 = 4.50

Total 13.00 cubic inches

Thanks Again

Sean Holley

Status
Not open for further replies.