Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Guns

You allowed to make a splice for the load side in a meter can ? And can you use the meter can as a chase for load side Example: If you were to install an ATS next to an exterior meter can and you rerouted the load side wires to the line side of ATS can you route the load side of ATS back into meter can and through same conduit to existing panel. Hope I didn't confuse anyone..
Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You allowed to make a splice for the load side in a meter can ?

Not sure I understand this one, but condcutors on the load side of a meter, ahead of the disconnect are servie conductors and they can be spliced per 230.46
And can you use the meter can as a chase for load side Example: If you were to install an ATS next to an exterior meter can and you rerouted the load side wires to the line side of ATS can you route the load side of ATS back into meter can and through same conduit to existing panel. Hope I didn't confuse anyone..
Thanks

The ATS must be service rated or protected by an overcurrent device, therefore the conductors on the load side of the ATS are not classified as service conductors and can not share the sameraceway as service conductors (230.7).

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
You allowed to make a splice for the load side in a meter can ? And can you use the meter can as a chase for load side Example: If you were to install an ATS next to an exterior meter can and you rerouted the load side wires to the line side of ATS can you route the load side of ATS back into meter can and through same conduit to existing panel. Hope I didn't confuse anyone..
Thanks
It sounds like you are adding a transfer switch to an existing building and you want to run wires coming off of the service disconnect to the utility side of the ATS and then bring wires from the common on the ATS back through the same conduit. If this is true then the answer is yes.

kwired

Electron manager
It sounds like you are adding a transfer switch to an existing building and you want to run wires coming off of the service disconnect to the utility side of the ATS and then bring wires from the common on the ATS back through the same conduit. If this is true then the answer is yes.

But he is not on the load side of the service disconnect, he is on the load side of the meter - his ATS will need to become the service disconnect and must be rated for such use. And as Augie said the load side conductors from the transfer switch can not pass through the same raceway as the service conductors supplying it.

Jortz

As if your load conductors exit the back of the meterpan? splicing/extending them in the pan to nipple out to a ATS ? Rather hackish if that's what your seeking to do

GlennG

As if your load conductors exit the back of the meterpan? splicing/extending them in the pan to nipple out to a ATS ? Rather hackish if that's what your seeking to do

I agree. Hack job. Also local poco doesn't allow it.(LIPA). Just came across this same situation on a job and couldn't believe what I was seeing. As a result there was a laundry list of related violations. The people swore they had an inspection but i can't see how it could pass.

But he is not on the load side of the service disconnect, he is on the load side of the meter - his ATS will need to become the service disconnect and must be rated for such use. And as Augie said the load side conductors from the transfer switch can not pass through the same raceway as the service conductors supplying it.

The existing "main" panel will also become a "sub" panel after the new service disconnect is added and now must be fed with 4 conductors instead of 3.

erickench

Take a look at NEC 230.7. This could be a violation. I would think that conductors on the load side of the ATS would qualify as feeders and therefore cannot be in the same raceway or conduit with service conductors.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

It would be ok if this is what he had but I dont think it is.

To me he has a meter only on the outside of the building probably going just inside to a Main Breaker Panel.
He's wanting to add a Transfer Switch on the outside next to the Meter, Take the existing wires off the load side of the meter that are now going in to the existing panel, route new wiring from the load side of the meter to the line side of the new transfer switch, then, take the load side wiring from the transfer switch back into the meter can and splice on the the existing wires that feet the existing panel.

If this is the case, I say No.

You'd have service conductors and feeder conductors sharing the same raceway between the meter and the Transfer Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.