Anyone know of well written and illustrated PV system books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohms law

I am interested in understanding PV systems, i don't know anyone around my area who installs these type of systems. I have been an electrician since 2006 and I would like to understand and possibly present this to my boss as a knowledgable skill. Simply for the fact I just love to learn and everything I know is self taught. I just have on the job training, no tech school. But I am capable of learning anything. So if anyone has any good suggestions I would be great full!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Mark Odie did a pdf on PV that may as well be a book. It is 350 pages. Here is the link

I am quite certain it is a legal download

You can also save it to your computer....

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You're welcome. I suspect he put a lot of work in it and he is very knowledgeable on the subject. I am surprised he didn't try and sell it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I am surprised he didn't try and sell it.
As it stands, it is formatted as a workshop presentation with an assumption that there will be questions and answers and clarifications. Making it into a book, with photo credits and all of other structure would be additional work he may not have wanted to do. Plus he may have figured it would be out of date too soon. :)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I am interested in understanding PV systems, i don't know anyone around my area who installs these type of systems. I have been an electrician since 2006 and I would like to understand and possibly present this to my boss as a knowledgable skill. Simply for the fact I just love to learn and everything I know is self taught. I just have on the job training, no tech school. But I am capable of learning anything. So if anyone has any good suggestions I would be great full!
In my view, the best book out there is "Photovoltaic Power Systems for Inspectors and Plan Reviewers" by John Wiles.

PV books

PV books

Mike holt has one that is more of a handbook style, but with a lot of good reference points for de rates and common code questions.

Photovoltaic systems by James Dunlop is the book that a lot of Entry Level Nabcep courses are
based on. Lots of great information from the basics to more complex calculations for design and installation.

Solar Energy Institute has a book that there PV 101 course is based on, lots of great info in a
Slightly less technical format.

Also if you check the Nabcep website it gives a ton of information on reference material to look at for taking the Nabcep exam.

I own all three books that I mentioned and they have been great learning tools.

SolarPro magazine is a free publication that comes out every two months that has industry changes and great technical articles.

Good Luck

SolarPro

Great recommendations. If you work in the trades, it's hard to beat the Dunlop textbook. It is well organized and very thorough, and intend for professionals. It is used in solar schools now, as well as NJATC training centers.

Thanks for the SolarPro shout out. SolarPro magazine is free to anyone working in the electrical trades. However, we do develop content with assumption that readers already have the basics of solar electricity under their belt. Here's a link to the website:

http://solarprofessional.com/

Not everyone in the electrical trades understands the fundamentals of solar PV. Fortunately, our sister publication, Home Power magazine, does a great job of covering the basics. (When I was in "solar school" 10+ years ago, Home Power magazine and the manual from Solar Energy International were the only resources available?except for John Wiles' Suggested Practices.)

You might check out the links below and use the search function on the Home Power website if you still have questions:

http://www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/basics/what-solar-electricity

http://www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/equipment-products/energy-basics-pv-system-types

http://www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/equipment-products/no-batteries-required

http://www.homepower.com/articles/s...oducts/understanding-pv-module-specifications

http://www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/design-installation/choosing-grid-tied-inverter

http://www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/project-profiles/diy-pv

Zee

Books are crucial and 50% of what you will learn.
However, the best book i ever read on PV...was not a book. I recommend pairing the above excellent reads with hands-on experience, with an experienced installer. Even if he pays nothing.
The tricks of the trade are never in books and INVALUABLE.
Books often contain what is required but not always what is possible or advisable.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Books are crucial and 50% of what you will learn.
However, the best book i ever read on PV...was not a book. I recommend pairing the above excellent reads with hands-on experience, with an experienced installer. Even if he pays nothing.
The tricks of the trade are never in books and INVALUABLE.
Books often contain what is required but not always what is possible or advisable.
Second that. The best boost I got working my way into the PV business was working as an unpaid intern for a summer for a successful PV installer/integrator.

SolarPro

I agree, but with a caveat. In 2002, I tried to get a job with a solar contractor in NM based on the fact that I had years of experience working in the building trades and knew how to turn a wrench from a stint working with an auto mechanic. An employee there told me that they would be doing me a disservice to hire me without any specific solar training and recommended that I look at the RE Program an San Juan College, which specializes in PV system design and installation (pretty much all battery-based at that time). The nice thing about having some book learning—including a heavy-dose of the NEC (Mike Holt's curriculum)—is that then when you get you on the job training you're in a better position to tell the good practices from the bad. If you're working for an experienced installer who has a long history of doing things the wrong way—perhaps using unlisted equipment or not using fall protection or not flashing roof penetrations—that's not the best legacy to continue forward. But I agree, that on the job training is the only way to get the book learning to sink in.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I agree, but with a caveat. In 2002, I tried to get a job with a solar contractor in NM based on the fact that I had years of experience working in the building trades and knew how to turn a wrench from a stint working with an auto mechanic. An employee there told me that they would be doing me a disservice to hire me without any specific solar training and recommended that I look at the RE Program an San Juan College, which specializes in PV system design and installation (pretty much all battery-based at that time). The nice thing about having some book learning?including a heavy-dose of the NEC (Mike Holt's curriculum)?is that then when you get you on the job training you're in a better position to tell the good practices from the bad. If you're working for an experienced installer who has a long history of doing things the wrong way?perhaps using unlisted equipment or not using fall protection or not flashing roof penetrations?that's not the best legacy to continue forward. But I agree, that on the job training is the only way to get the book learning to sink in.
Absolutely. I didn't mean to imply that the OJT would replace studying the fundamentals. I took a 40 hr NABCEP accredited workshop from these guys: http://imaginesolar.com/ before I set foot on a roof.

SolarPro

Exactly. Imagine how long you'd have to work on a roof before you were introduced to all of the concepts covered in that class.

Plus, it's fantastic the way they are working out of a NJATC training center. How cool would it be if that training were available at every IBEW or NJATC training facility? (Kudos to Michael Kuhn.)

Status
Not open for further replies.