690.9 illustrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_picard

Has anyone seen a good illustration/diagram that explains why two strings in parallel typically cannot provide fault current that exceeds the module max series fuse size?

Seems to me like simple math, but I am having a hard time getting folks to wrap their heads around the reasoning behind the general practice of fusing only when there are three or more strings in parallel.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Has anyone seen a good illustration/diagram that explains why two strings in parallel typically cannot provide fault current that exceeds the module max series fuse size?

Seems to me like simple math, but I am having a hard time getting folks to wrap their heads around the reasoning behind the general practice of fusing only when there are three or more strings in parallel.
First thing to note is that the string fuses are not intended to protect anything but the strings, and that the strings are inherently current limited when acting as sources, no matter how many you put in series.

From that starting point, look at how much current can be supplied to a failed string in a pair. The only current source is the other string, and its output will be roughly between 1/3 and 2/3 of the series fuse rating.
If the current source is backfeed from the inverter or charge controller which has also failed, it will be feeding both strings in parallel and so probably not delivering damaging current to either of them based on the maximum series fuse size. (The fuse is sized to protect a single string against otherwise unlimited back current from defective load equipment OR other parallel panels.)

The only case allowing damage is a double fault.

For three or more strings, the other working strings in parallel can provide more current to the failed string than the specified series fuse would allow, so a single fault could damage a string IF that string fails.
If you fuse pairs of strings instead, then a single fault can still provide more current to the failed string in a pair than the fuse itself allows.

From there you should be able to draw the pictures.

c_picard

Thanks. You're right, I could draw the pictures. I was taking the lazy route, but I'm only slightly better at typing than drawing!

I'll give it a go, and if I can figure out how to upload a pic here, you can take a look.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
This fine young man did all the work for me. There's some great illustrations here, as well as in depth analysis.

If anyone else is looking...

http://iris.lib.neu.edu/elec_comp_theses/105/
Took me awhile to get my quadrants straight in Figure 2.1 :)
His Quadrant IV is the operation of a cell/panel/string with excess voltage applied, causing the current to change direction. And for an undamaged string the current forced back by other strings will be limited only by the applied voltage and the available current. Only a catastrophic breakdown of a GTI can cause current in that direction. (The addition of a blocking diode changes the picture completely, but that is rarely done at the string level anymore since the GTI or CC will provide that function for the whole array.) So the worst case in Quadrant IV will be when one or more panels in a string are short-circuited internally, causing reverse current through the remainder of the string, heating the remainder of the cells. That is the case against which the maximum series fuse is intended to protect.

His Quadrant II corresponds to a shaded cell having more current forced forward through it than Isc for the light level, and will eventually end in cell breakdown unless bypass diodes are provided.

Once I wrapped my mind completely around that, the rest of his fault analysis dropped into place.
Thanks for the reference!

Status
Not open for further replies.