Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contactor combiner = disconnecting means? (NEC 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose one could argue that the requirement is for a 'disconnecting means', and so as long as you can manually disconnect the conductors, it's not required that you also be able to manually close the circuit. It's a stretch though.

As far as NFPA 70E, I suppose it would depend on the actual construction of the manual means. What you're describing doesn't fit.

Comment

I'm sure this is what you meant:
      Originally posted by jaggedben View Post
      Manually open the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Carultch View Post
        I'm sure this is what you meant:
        I'm pretty sure he meant what he said. As long as one can open the circuit manually the code probably doesn't care if you can manually close it.

Comment

Yeah, I meant what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by jaggedben View Post
            Yeah, I meant what I said.
            It is interesting in Chinese language. They use the equivalent words for open and close, when talking about turning on and off the lights respectively. When in reality, you are doing exactly the opposite.

Comment

So now that the first draft has been released, and by the looks of it resolves the issue that this thread seems to revolve around (for now), how would the resolution be enforced?

What I mean is, if a particular state adopted NEC 2014 (and for the sake of argument contactors were not allowed under that edition), but now manufacturers will offer a combiner under provisions for NEC 2017 (and this time a contactor is permitted in this regard), will the combiner designed around requirements to NEC 2017 be suitable in a state that is implementing 2014?

Obviously can't go back the other way, but I'd imagine a newer edition be better suited than what is adopted by the state at the time?

Comment

Working...
              X