PV neutral 480v only

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappedfh

I have a 87 kw pv system that i have installed.The problem is i need a neutral for communication only the service in the area is 480 only no neutral available .I pipe over to a panel that was 277 with a neutral.there is no current from the neutral.i know the code says all conductors shall be in the same conduit.The electrical inspector passed it but the building electrician won't allow it .any ideas

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have a 87 kw pv system that i have installed.The problem is i need a neutral for communication only the service in the area is 480 only no neutral available .I pipe over to a panel that was 277 with a neutral.there is no current from the neutral.i know the code says all conductors shall be in the same conduit.The electrical inspector passed it but the building electrician won't allow it .any ideas
Is the 480 delta from a separate transformer from the 480/277Y? If so, I don't think you can bring the neutral from the wye over to the delta if that is what you are suggesting. After the installation is completed is a crummy time to be finding this out.

zappedfh

solar neutral

solar neutral

The neutral is needed in the inverters only for the monitoring system of the inverters.Not over the ac line.They need 277v to hook into the internet the inverters are an SMA tri power .SMA will not let me install control transformer on the inverters.So i went back to the 277v panel to make the system work.Again the inspector passed it said a neutral is a neutral coming from the same source.Any help would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.