Inverter height

Status
Not open for further replies.

electro7

Occupation
Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
Is there any code reference restricting the height of an inverter? I am needing to install one around 10ft to the top, maybe 7ft to the bottom. The safety switch would then be around 8ft off finish floor.
Thanks

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
A switch cannot be more than two meters (6-7") from the floor. Code is 404.8. There's an exception (No. 2) that should get you out of that, but then you also need a readily accessible PV disconnect (690.13). In summary, you should be allowed to install an inverter with an integrated disconnect at a higher level if you provide an additional safety switch that is less than 6'-7" above the floor.

Carultch

A switch cannot be more than two meters (6-7") from the floor. Code is 404.8. There's an exception (No. 2) that should get you out of that, but then you also need a readily accessible PV disconnect (690.13). In summary, you should be allowed to install an inverter with an integrated disconnect at a higher level if you provide an additional safety switch that is less than 6'-7" above the floor.

If you do install a high inverter, where you'd need to be up on a ladder to service it, instead of on a working platform, do you need comprehensive DC and AC disconnects immediately adjacent to it?

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If you do install a high inverter, where you'd need to be up on a ladder to service it, instead of on a working platform, do you need comprehensive DC and AC disconnects immediately adjacent to it?

Who knows? I think we've had this discussion before.

In my opinion the concept is to prevent the equipment from being energized by someone who is working somewhere else and not aware of you. So if there are disconnects 'under the ladder' then they don't have to be 'immediately adjacent'. Maybe within line of sight is acceptable.

kwired

Electron manager
Not a PV installer, but I don't see there would be anything prohibiting you from installing it near the top of a 1200 foot tower if you really wanted to put it there. There may or may not be working space clearances required which may mean a platform/deck needs built in that area as well.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.