Zig Zag gounding xfmr for 100KW ground mount array

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zig Zag gounding xfmr for 100KW ground mount array

The utility is requiring a zig zag grounding xfmr for a 100kw ground mounted array. I have xfmr sizing from them. I know there is a protective relay required to make this setup work. I imagine there are a variety for ways to accomplish this. In hopes of not reinventing the wheel does anyone have a preferred method/ components that work? Thanks, John

Originally posted by Giark View Post
    The utility is requiring a zig zag grounding xfmr for a 100kw ground mounted array. I have xfmr sizing from them. I know there is a protective relay required to make this setup work. I imagine there are a variety for ways to accomplish this. In hopes of not reinventing the wheel does anyone have a preferred method/ components that work? Thanks, John
    Interesting. I dont quite follow though. Where is the zig zag to go? Is there already an ungrounded service supplying the site that this will be tied into?
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

There is another thread about a POCO which is requiring a zig-zag grounding transformer even though the service itself is a grounded wye. There was never a good engineering explanation for that requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldDigger View Post
        There is another thread about a POCO which is requiring a zig-zag grounding transformer even though the service itself is a grounded wye. There was never a good engineering explanation for that requirement.
        Most of the time, the issue involves the 'distributed generator' becoming 'islanded' from the utility grounded-wye system.

Generically the term is 'artificial neutral'. A Zig-Zag is simply one style of 'grounding transformer',another common one is often called a 'wye-delta'.
        Impedance grounding, like HRG, is a separate issue from providing a ground reference.
        Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Comment

Originally posted by jim dungar View Post
          Most of the time, the issue involves the 'distributed generator' becoming 'islanded' from the utility grounded-wye system.
          Which was somewhat odd given that the distributed generation in question was a grid tie inverter array which automatically shuts down when islanded.

Comment

Which was somewhat odd given that the distributed generation in question was a grid tie inverter array which automatically shuts down when islanded.
            Are you saying someone didn't look at all the details before making a judgement?

Comment

Originally posted by jim dungar View Post
              Are you saying someone didn't look at all the details before making a judgement?
              I think that I am saying that once the rule was written it was no longer anybody's job to see whether it made sense.

Comment

I think that I am saying that once the rule was written it was no longer anybody's job to see whether it made sense.

Comment

Solution for Effective Grounding

Originally posted by Giark View Post
                  Hello Giark, I have a following solution which you might like to use for this application.
                  See if it make sense for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2372554Click image for larger version

Name:	image 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2372555

Comment

Working...