Zig Zag gounding xfmr for 100KW ground mount array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giark

The utility is requiring a zig zag grounding xfmr for a 100kw ground mounted array. I have xfmr sizing from them. I know there is a protective relay required to make this setup work. I imagine there are a variety for ways to accomplish this. In hopes of not reinventing the wheel does anyone have a preferred method/ components that work? Thanks, John

The utility is requiring a zig zag grounding xfmr for a 100kw ground mounted array. I have xfmr sizing from them. I know there is a protective relay required to make this setup work. I imagine there are a variety for ways to accomplish this. In hopes of not reinventing the wheel does anyone have a preferred method/ components that work? Thanks, John

Interesting. I dont quite follow though. Where is the zig zag to go? Is there already an ungrounded service supplying the site that this will be tied into?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There is another thread about a POCO which is requiring a zig-zag grounding transformer even though the service itself is a grounded wye. There was never a good engineering explanation for that requirement.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
There is another thread about a POCO which is requiring a zig-zag grounding transformer even though the service itself is a grounded wye. There was never a good engineering explanation for that requirement.

Most of the time, the issue involves the 'distributed generator' becoming 'islanded' from the utility grounded-wye system.

Generically the term is 'artificial neutral'. A Zig-Zag is simply one style of 'grounding transformer',another common one is often called a 'wye-delta'.
Impedance grounding, like HRG, is a separate issue from providing a ground reference.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Most of the time, the issue involves the 'distributed generator' becoming 'islanded' from the utility grounded-wye system.

Which was somewhat odd given that the distributed generation in question was a grid tie inverter array which automatically shuts down when islanded.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Which was somewhat odd given that the distributed generation in question was a grid tie inverter array which automatically shuts down when islanded.

Are you saying someone didn't look at all the details before making a judgement?:blink:

excel

Solution for Effective Grounding

Solution for Effective Grounding

Hello Giark, I have a following solution which you might like to use for this application.
See if it make sense for you.

Image 1.jpg image 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.